AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad only showing in a single state because of a Keyword, how to fix it?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I am running a campaign on floods for an NGO and want to target entire country. The keyword has a name of state and due to which it is not showing in entire country. PFA SC of the same.

Please advise how to fix this. jammu floods.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad only showing in a single state because of a Keyword, how to fix

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you target the entire country you don't need to include specific locations within your keywords. If you want to target this specific location, then add it as part of the keyword (aka target by intent).
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Ad only showing in a single state because of a Keyword, how to fix

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ajay,

I reckon you want to target entire country but about the floods in Jammu (ie in a particular locality). And it seems it’s good to have location terms in keywords otherwise generic keywords like floods etc may get triggered for floods in any other part of the country.

But if you are mentioning localities in the keywords the search volumes will be lower which will affect the exposure of the ads.

You can try few options below –

#1.  If your location target in campaign setting is set to default “Reach people in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location” then, change it to ”Reach people searching for or viewing pages about your targeted location”

#2.  Split the ad groups in 2 categories intent and intent + location eg “Floods ad group” and “Floods in JK ad group” and add the keywords in those “Floods ad group” will have generic keywords and “Floods in JK ad group” will have location specific keywords.

#3.   Run the campaigns for a week or more and check the search terms report and check what search terms are used for broad match type keywords and modify the keywords accordingly.

To further check the response you can even split the campaigns like below-

Camp 1 – Target only JK using radius targeting or state/city targeting – Add broad keywords here- Target “Reach people in my targeted location”

Camp 2- Target entire country and exclude location mentioned in Camp 2 – Add broad and location based 2 ad groups.- Target- ”Reach people searching for or viewing pages about your targeted location”

And bid aggressively if possible and check the search terms. And then optimise accordingly.

So once you have sufficient data to analyse the performance, you can further optimise the campaigns.

Since there is no as such a thumb rule, need to experiment what works best for you.

Hope this helps.

SJ