AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad group dominating a campaign; move it or all other ad groups out?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on what to do if you have an ad group that is dominating the spend in an account. Should you move that ad group out to a new campaign, or would it be better to move all the other ad groups (potentially dozens) out into a new campaign.I guess the same logic applies to the ad group to keyword relationship.

Right now, I am leaning on moving all the others out because most of the campaign history is associated with the big ad group.

Thoughts? Pros and cons?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe R
September 2015

Re: Ad group dominating a campaign; move it or all other ad groups out

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Joe, on the face of it I'd say you definitely want to split the Campaign up, although bear in mind that the "other" Groups may not have much more to give.  If they were able to compete equally with the "big" Group they'd do so, so if this one Group is dominating it's almost certainly because it's impressions are far higher than the others.  What I'm saying is that if you move the other Groups out to their own Campaign you may not find their performance increases much.

I presume you're getting a "Limited by Budget" message?  If you're not then that underlines what I've said above.  AdWords thinks your budget is OK (although even when no message is shown, you can still increase the spend sometimes) which means these smaller Groups probably aren't being "starved".

How many Campaigns and Groups do you have and what sort of thing are you advertising?

As for which way to split it?  I think it makes sense to leave the biggest chunk of history in place, so I'd move the "smaller" Groups, as you suggest.  Just remember when you examine data in the future that the Campaign used to be bigger; one of my favourite tricks is spending ages trying to work out what happened to the figures of an Account on a certain date before remembering (or reading in my notes) that the Campaign used to have twice as many Groups Smiley Happy

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Joe,

I be inclined to move the other adgroups out and leave the best performing one in that campaign due to the history that it's built up. To be honest, I've moved the other way with minimal effect before but feel more comfortable leaving what works where it is.

NOTE: If you've been running a CPA bidding campaign it may be worth changing this back to manual temporarily until the system learns the new cost/conv stats without the additional adgroup data.

Moving 1 or 150 adgroups is easy, if you haven't already got it, download adwords editor and it's as easy and copy/paste.

But, why are you moving it? Is it just the spend you are worried about, the CPA, profit margins etc? Just because it might be taking up the lions share of the budget doesn't mean it has to be moved. If the campaign is themed well, relevant adgroups etc, you may be fine leaving it where it is.

If you are planning a different bidding strategy move it out, otherwise have a think about why you're moving it.

I hope this helps but let me know if I can help any more.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Joe, on the face of it I'd say you definitely want to split the Campaign up, although bear in mind that the "other" Groups may not have much more to give.  If they were able to compete equally with the "big" Group they'd do so, so if this one Group is dominating it's almost certainly because it's impressions are far higher than the others.  What I'm saying is that if you move the other Groups out to their own Campaign you may not find their performance increases much.

I presume you're getting a "Limited by Budget" message?  If you're not then that underlines what I've said above.  AdWords thinks your budget is OK (although even when no message is shown, you can still increase the spend sometimes) which means these smaller Groups probably aren't being "starved".

How many Campaigns and Groups do you have and what sort of thing are you advertising?

As for which way to split it?  I think it makes sense to leave the biggest chunk of history in place, so I'd move the "smaller" Groups, as you suggest.  Just remember when you examine data in the future that the Campaign used to be bigger; one of my favourite tricks is spending ages trying to work out what happened to the figures of an Account on a certain date before remembering (or reading in my notes) that the Campaign used to have twice as many Groups Smiley Happy

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adam, it is mostly spend that I am worried about. In the past, even though the campaign isn't technically limited by budget, I have seen greater spend overall when breaking it out.

In this particular campaign, I have about 2/3 of the spend going to one ad group. I am thinking that there there isn't really a point in having ad groups that don't perform. I'll either move them or pause them.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jon, the hope is that by splitting it out, I can eke out a little more spend overall. I've had some success with this before, although I've never seen the other ad groups spend as much as the big one. I think you are right that there will probably not be a significant performance increase, but it's worth a shot.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Are your big spending keywords providing any results like conversions ? If not, you can pause only the keywords that waste your budget and keep those who contribute to conversions.

Do you use the conversion tracking for any type of goals ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

This is what I'd do. If all the AG's are doing OK with the CPA target, leave them. If budget is not an issue, set it to min 3 times the normal daily spend. Done.

But... You already have concerns otherwise you wouldn't be here asking this in the 1st place.

I think ask yourself 1 question -

Do i need a different bidding strategy, network strategy, scheduling, bid adjustments & reporting for this AdGroup?

If the answer is yes to any of the above, you know what you need to do ;-)