AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad disapproval, 403 error & Google Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

Ran into an interesting issue regarding Google Ads disapproval & Google Tag Manager.

We recently installed Google Tag manager on-site for a client and immediately had all of our subsequently submitted Ads disapproved through Adwords for "Invalid HTTP response code"

After a bit of looking around, we discovered a 403 error inside of Google Webmaster tools which popped up the exact same time we installed Google Tag Manager.

During troubleshooting, we removed Tag Manager.  Subsequently the 403 error was resolved inside Google Webmaster Tools & when we re-submitted those disapproved ads......they were approved.

So, I conclude that somehow Google Tag Manger was causing the 403 error which resulted in disapproved ads.

Any idea why this would happen and more importantly how to fix this?  We really need Tag Manager on their site in order to properly track Adwords conversions.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad disapproval, 403 error & Google Tag Manager

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Curt, how are things?

When getting 403 errors it's very important to test the site on either other browsers or even on incognito mode. Have you made those tests to see if the 403 error appears?

Also, make sure to do a step-by-step debug. Do you have any other tags installed inside Tag Manager already, or GTM is brand new with nothing on it, and you just installed the GTM code on your HTML?

Make sure to install the snippet on the recommended place and in it's original state. Sometimes appending or including the code by user methos can create those conflicts.

Check if there aren't any codes installed inside GTM causing the error. If you have multiple tags already, deactivate one by one to see of the error stops.

Hope this steps can help.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Is the container tag IMMEDIATELY after the opening body tag?
It's not firing correctly. Most likely because it's not installed in the correct place.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the guidance & MUCH appreciated with the answer!

We actually uninstalled Tag Manager & through that process discovered the problem was with Tag Manager itself.

The error came with only two Tags installed on the site, Google Analytics Tag and a specific event Tag to track form fill outs & click to calls on their site.

I'll re-install GTM & start with a clean GTM free of Tags and go from there.

Thanks for the guidance and I'll follow-up with how we fixed it or if there are follow-on questions.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Good stuff. Thanks for letting us know Kurt!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dave,

Thank you so much for answering!  I'd have to check with my developer to see if it was installed in the correct place or not.

Hadn't even thought that this may have been the cause of the error.

We actually uninstalled Tag Manager during the troubleshooting process and that is how we determined that this was causing the error.

Will double check with Dev on new installation & report back.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re-installed Tag Manager and ensured it was in correct location with no other Tags present (no analytics, remarketing, etc)

Got getting 403 errors again.

When using Tag assistant, I'm not showing any errors (Green Color), so at this point I'm at a loss.

My best guess is that a plugin or outdated plugin the client is using on their site is somehow interfering with the JS in Tag Manager.

Ad disapproval, 403 error & Google Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭