AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad customizers - countdown until 2020.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm looking at ad customizers feature and it would work very well for one of my clients. Basically, they are offering something for free until 2020., so I was thinking about using ad customizers with a dynamic countdown until 2020. But, my question is, can I setup ad customizers up to 2020.? I can cleary enter the date, but I don't know how would that turn up at the end.

It says here that by default it starts 5 days earlier in english: "By default, countdown customizers begin serving 5 days before the end time, in American English."

I would actually use this part of the ad customizer: {=COUNTDOWN("2020/01/01 00:00:00","hr",1784)}

Did anybody try something like that or does someone know would this work?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad customizers - countdown until 2020.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

I think the fastest and the right option is to test your version in account in 1 adgroup in 1 ad...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Iva, I've no reason to think it wouldn't work, and if the in-built customiser feature couldn't handle it, scripts and params certainly could, but I'd have to question whether this will actually make an appealing Ad.

Countdowns work best in Ads when they give an incentive for the viewer to click the Ad and complete the desired on-site action and such incentives are usually short-term.  If I see an Ad that says a great special offer is ending in 2 days, it might well encourage me to act now, but I'm really not going to care if the offer still has almost 5 years left to run!  I'd suggest that in this case, using a countdown is going to be a waste of valuable Ad character space and you should look for an alternative promotion.

If the company wants to give something away for free to encourage sales/sign-ups, then why not make the time frame much shorter and run it every other month or so, perhaps changing the free offer regularly?  You'll then be able to use much shorter time periods on your countdowns and are likely to get a far better response.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

thank you for your comment. Ofcourse, I agree with you that ad customizers work best with short term deals. In this case, a client is actually known for this promotion (they offer a lot of perks for you until 2020. if you become their user), so I was just thinking maybe ad customizer could fit the brand.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to write back Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Iva, if they're known for this sort of long-term promotion then it's a good idea to make use of it, I simply wouldn't use the Countdown feature (even though it's fun to automate things!).  Mention the offer in the Ads, certainly and if they're that well known it might even be worth including "2020" in some Keywords.

What makes them special?  Ads always do better if there's something that makes them stand out from the crowd, something no other company does.  If in their case it's this free offer, then think about how else you can lever that into the Ads.

Are you remarketing?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi again Jon,

thank your for your suggestions. We are doing remarketing, yes, and we're just thinking about some new things that we can bring to pick up the game even more.

Big thanks again Smiley Happy