AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad customizer countdown-clarification on how character limits work

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI All

I've been creating ads using the countdown function and have experienced some ad approval issues related to character limit. After speaking with AdWords support, it appears that my initial problem was down to me only allowing two characters for the figure that would be placed into my ad by using this countdown. I was advised that I needed to count four characters for the customizer text in this case. I went back to the ads that had been marked as disapproved and edited them to make sure that I was within the specified limits.

Here's an example for my line of ad text for the newly edited ad:

Buy Now! 50% Sale Ends In {=COUNTDOWN("2014/12/31 23:59:59")} Days

31 characters including spaces, plus the four characters that I was advised I should be allowing for the countdown function.

I've checked the ads this morning, and it seems these new ads which are 35 characters total have also been disapproved for character limit too. I've had to re edit them this morning, and am currently waiting to see if they get approval.

Also, I noticed that the bulk editing (from selecting check-boxes on ads > Edit drop-down > change text ads) wouldn't allow me to change my line of ad text, it keeps telling me that I've gone over the character limits and wont allow me to save the change, even for my newly edited ads this morning which now contain less than the total of 35 (allowing for the 4 in that figure of course) I had to change the ad text, one ad at a time.

Can anyone shed any light on all of this please? I'm puzzled. I've not been found any specific information about how character limits should be handled when using the countdown function or any other ad customizers and I would really like to make sure that I understand the limits, but also the reasons behind why the functions require a certain number of characters too. I did ask the man I was speaking to in support but he wasn't able to give me an explanation on this.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hel_ipe
September 2015

Re: Ad customizer countdown-clarification on how character limits work

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hel_pi,

I believe the problem lies in the use of 'days' text in the ads. You do not need to add it. Countdown customizer will automatically add  days/hours to the text. 

Here's what Google says - 

Customize ads with real time updates   AdWords Help.png

Hope it helps.

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hel_ipe
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hel_pi,

I believe the problem lies in the use of 'days' text in the ads. You do not need to add it. Countdown customizer will automatically add  days/hours to the text. 

Here's what Google says - 

Customize ads with real time updates   AdWords Help.png

Hope it helps.

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
HI Ratan

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Talk about me not seeing the wood for the trees!
So it seems that I shouldn't be adding the word 'days' at the end of the line of text. I've made two calls to support and nobody gave me that answer. The advice I was given was that I needed to remove an extra two characters from my ad copy, nothing mentioned that I didn't require the word 'days' after the customizer because the customizer includes it automatically.

Now I must go and re-tweek all my affected ads ... again!

Thanks for your help Ratan, much appreciated :-)

Kind regards

Helen

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Helen,

I just experienced this the other day myself and fortunately was able to figure it out before too long. One gripe I have is that it doesn't seem that we have control of capitalization of the inserted days/hours text. If the rest of my ad copy uses initial caps, I'd like the ability to tweak this text as well, just like we can for DKI.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Tommy

Thanks, It's good to know it wasn't only me! It really had me puzzled.

Yeah, I understand what you mean with the initial caps too. I've used initial caps for my ad copy and its not really going to look as good with the last word on the description line without it. Maybe this is something that will be addressed soon?

All the best

Helen

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Helen, Yes, it happens to us all at times. I am glad, I could help. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+