AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad copy linking to dynamic pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My ad copy is linking to a dynamic category page. When a customer clicks on my ad, the link is directing them to our company's home page. How can we fix this issues                      

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author aramatf
September 2015

Re: Ad copy linking to dynamic pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi aramatf,

We're probably going to need alittle more information to be able to help you.

Have you done the gclid test on your site? Basically, you put in your destination URL the append "&gclid=alsfkdjlkdfjlkaglg".
 It does not matter what you put in for the valud of the gclid. If that takes you to the home page instead of the desired page, it's a problem with your web server set up or with your the program that runs the web site.

If you care to share your landing page URL, I will take a look and see if I can find anything.

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author aramatf
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi aramatf,

We're probably going to need alittle more information to be able to help you.

Have you done the gclid test on your site? Basically, you put in your destination URL the append "&gclid=alsfkdjlkdfjlkaglg".
 It does not matter what you put in for the valud of the gclid. If that takes you to the home page instead of the desired page, it's a problem with your web server set up or with your the program that runs the web site.

If you care to share your landing page URL, I will take a look and see if I can find anything.

Best of Luck,

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good Afternoon Pete,

Thanks for taking the time to assist me. I received an email from a Google representative explaining exactly what you said. I was unaware that auto-tagging would have this effect on the Ad Copy destination link. 

You're a great assets to the Adwords Community. Thanks for your contribution

Best,

aramatf

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi aramatf,

Thanks for the compliment!

Depending on your level of expertise, this is something you should be able to fix. Some systems are programmed so as not to allow "arbitrary" parameters--values in the query string that are unknown to the system. Some will return an error, page not found. Others will redirect to the home page.

Best oof Luck!

Pete