AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Scheduling

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I recently tried something in one of my AdWords accounts with Ad Scheduling, all the accounts I manage are set to automatic bidding and therefore Ad Scheduling options are disabled, however I changed the bidding option to manual set my ads to appear less on a Friday and then rest to automatic bidding, after having done this the Ad Scheduling option was still there.

What I would like to know is if the Scheduling will actually work or not?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dday33480
September 2015

Re: Ad Scheduling

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mate,

To my knowledge i think your Ad Scheduling will not work.

As soon as your are switching back to automatic bidding option the interface will automatically turn the Ad Scheduling to all days and hours.

For any further help on the above please refer to this link

Hope this Helps!

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dday33480 and welcome to the forum.

What you're describing isn't what I see in my account when I test this.  No matter what I do, when I choose Automatic bidding, the Ad Scheduling returns to "All Days and Hours" - there's even a warning in the bidding options box that this will happen.

I'm a little confused where you say "I changed the bidding option to manual set my ads to appear less on a Friday and then rest to automatic bidding" - you're describing two different things here - the bidding option and the Ad Scheduling.  Are you talking about Bid Adjustments within Ad Scheduling?  If you are, you may have found a bug, because I do see some weird behaviour there.

Can you provide some more detail of what exactly you're doing?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dday33480
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mate,

To my knowledge i think your Ad Scheduling will not work.

As soon as your are switching back to automatic bidding option the interface will automatically turn the Ad Scheduling to all days and hours.

For any further help on the above please refer to this link

Hope this Helps!

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

To follow Jon, I would say that there are clear instructions when you switch to automatic bidding, it says under ad scheduling that you can't use both automatic bidding and ad scheduling at the same time. To use ad scheduling, switch to manual cost-per-click bidding for this campaign.

Is there a possibility that you are talking about 2 separate campaigns here where you are trying to run automatic bidding in one and manual bidding in another campaign?

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think this was just a bug, went back into the account about 2 mins ago and the Ad Scheduling was reset to all days, I think it was just the page that didn't refresh properly.

Thanks all.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

There is definitely a bug in the system when switching between Automatic Bidding and Ad Scheduling modes.  It's not straightforward to generate, but it is there.

I've alerted Google Dday, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Jon

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi All,

Thanks for letting us know you were experiencing delays when switching from manual to automatic bidding and not seeing it reset right away. I tested this in my personal account and was alerted when processing the switch (the alert read: "If you select automatic bidding, ad scheduling will be turned off and your ads will show all week.") and my ad scheduling hours were reset immediately. This should be how the system treats this scenario.

Please let me know if any of you still are noticing that you're able to switch to automatic bidding and your ad scheduling is showing, but otherwise, I'm not noticing anything wrong.

Thanks!

Anne

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Anne, sorry to raise this but you can make the Adwords interface do some weird things if you do it "right".

NOTE:  I wouldn't recommend that other users try this, it can make a real mess.  Leave it for Anne to sort out!

This is the process I followed:

1. Make sure you're on Manual bidding.
  2. If you've got any Scheduling/Adjustment, reset them all to "All Days all hours".
  3. Come back out to the settings screen and make sure the Bidding is showing Manual and theSchedule 100%/100%.
  4. Go back into the scheduler and choose the Bid Adjustment mode, then edit one day to run for limited hours at a percentage budget, e.g. Monday 4am-6pm, 80%.  Leave the other days running 24hrs.  Save this and come back out to the Settings.  At this point it should look correct from the Settings screen.
  5. Now go into the Bidding options and choose Automatic.  You'll see the yellow warning about resetting to All days all hours.  Check the automatic option anyway and enter a CPC figure then click Save.

Here for me is where it goes screwy.  The first attempt to Save doesn't dismiss the box, in fact sometimes it never dismisses, no matter how many times you click Save.  If you then click "Cancel" and check the Scheduling, all hell has broken loose.  See below:

Schedule Bug

What you can see here is the result of several experiments but what seems to happen is that all the days that were previously 100%/100% are now paused completely and all that's left is the reduced bid period you set.  In fact it's even worse than that as it's not honouring the limited hours.   Where it was previously only running 4am-6pm at 80% (or whatever), that day is now running 100% with the periods outside the reduced bid now running at 100% of the bid.  The mess above is the result of me doing this three or four times.  Even though when I've gone back to "Automatic Bidding" and/or reset the scheduling to All Days/Hours if you do the steps above again, the interface has "remembered" the previous settings and included them in the messed up version.

I'm not sure if this is what the original poster was seeing, but it seems odd to me.

Jon