AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Schedule Fail

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am unable to use the Ad Schedule (Campain>Settings>All settings>Ad schedule) feature on my text ad.

I could swear it worked yesterday when I was just familiarizing myself with various features.

In the heading of that page's table is a ? character inside a square, right next to the Ad Schedule column label. I put my cursor on that and read & understood the pop-up. Then I went to the help blog Learn more about ad scheduling mentioned in that same pop-up. I read & understood all of that, as well.

I went through the steps provided and did what they said. However, the highlighted segment of instruction step (4):

. . . 4. Click the Settings tab, then click the Ad schedule subtab.

was inactive and did not produce a new dialog box, nor did the mouse cursor change into a hand while it was over that table heading.

I am a skilled computer user who has tried everything trying to make the "mouse over" function work as it is related to do. So, I am also a very frustrated AdWords Community member. Smiley Happy

—johne

eXMLclass@tx.rr.com

John C. Edwards, AASET, BSEE (--), BACT retired missionary with 45 years of computing (Yes, IBM mainframes)
member AAIS member IEEE Computer Society formerly Wycliffe Bible Translators formerly Summer Institute of Linguistics (now SIL International, Inc.) formerly Core Member of USFM (Unified Standard Format Marker system for Scripture) formerly Core Member of OSIS (Open Scriptural Information System) formerly academic publishers for SIL International's book store
original advocates for SIL's Sign Language Bible projects and writing systems (160 so far)
The missionary couple who returned Scripture publishing to the Russian people,
  while staying true to their publishing traditions (through Russia's Academy of Science). authors and trainers of The Scripture Templates
and author of Encouraged by the Light www.encouragedbythelight.com (currently disabled) an innovation in interactive books with websites for the readers
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Schedule Fail

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Have you set automatic bidding on this campaign? You can't use scheduling with automatic bidding.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, John, and welcome to our community.

While familiarizing with certain features, did you, by any chance, turn on "automatic bidding"? When using automatic bidding (most clicks for a defined budget), one cannot use ad scheduling, and ads run all day long.

(When posting, people should not start a dialog and then leave it open for half an hour before posting, because other forum members might answer meanwhile Smiley Happy ).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I went off to try to turn auto bidding back off and got into heaps more help blog articles. Still don't know how to turn it off.

I didn't understand the half hour message. Am I supposed to stay around until

. . . a reply comes along

. . . the whole discussion is over

. . . some other answer

My IE9 froze up and I decided to change my virtual memory from system controlled to min: 128 and max: 1024. So, sorry I appeared to abandon/and guess I did/the site!

Thanks guys!

—johne

XMLclass™,

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
John, so sorry for the misunderstanding. My 30 minutes remark referred to the fact that I opened a dialog wanting to answer your post, had to leave the computer for a while, then came back and finished posting.

By that time, my post became useless, as Pete had already answered you, and provided you with the exact same answer.

Go to your campaigns tab, select the campaign you want to edit and then click Settings. Look for "bidding and budgets" and over there choose to bid manually (first option, can't remember exactly its full label as I post from my mobile).

Let us know if it works.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was able to get ad schedualing to work by turning off auto and then switching from standard to display network!

Thanks guys!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

John, just make sure you've not turned on the Display Network in the Networks section, because if you did your ads will appear on all sorts of websites, without people searching for them.

Here are more details with regards to campaign types: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?ctx=tltp

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I took care of that problem by going to Display Network  > Change display targeting > Placements > Automatic placements > Check box (next to Sites tab) > Exclude placements > Exclude > Save

In that way that list of sites don't get serviced/the ad.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi John, at the risk of muddying the waters further, I think we're all losing some direction here.  Can I ask for some clarity?

Where do you want your Ads to run?  On the Search network (i.e. alongside search results in Google) or on websites (i.e. on websites owned by other people) or both?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Added note: I just tried it all again and have things set the right way (after so much effort.) Smiley Frustrated

Thanks! Looks like I am going to need help as I only got two clicks yesterday and soon a TV program is going to be speaking to the subject my book is about, so there ought to be ready and able clients available.

I desire to be a part of the google searches, but it seems that does not allow for ad scheduling. So, I went to all networks. That lead to being on websites.

It would be nice if the google search page took an illustration of my book in some form. These two ads have not yet been approved and under review about a week. So I changed what wasn't really a logo to the company logo.—XMLclass™

Book Display Ad.png