AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Schedule Bid Adjustments Confusion?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a couple of campaigns currently running with a default ad group bid of $0.1 for some local keywords. I want to set a +150% bid adjustment between 4 AM and 1 PM, across these campaigns.

So specifically:

- I want the campaigns to serve impressions 24/7 at a CPC of $0.1 max except:

- Everyday between 4 AM and 1 PM I want to raise these bids to $0.25.

Now the problems:

1)  When I go to Settings > Ad Scheduling and click the "+ Ad Schedule", it only allows me to apply this schedule to one campaign, how can I create a schedule for multiple ones? (If not through the interface then steps through the Adwords Editor would be great).

2) I'm pretty confused what the "+ Ad Schedule" would do, if I use it to add a schedule of 4 AM to 1 PM everyday, it implies to me that the campaign will be restricted to running exclusively within those periods, is that true? I don't want that obviously, I want it to run at all times but spend more during this period.

Appreciate your time helping me clear up those two issues!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Akkari
September 2015

Re: Ad Schedule Bid Adjustments Confusion?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Ah, forgot to address #2. If you want your campaign to run 24 hours, you need to create intervals that cover 24 hours, for each day of the week. If you omit any, the campaign won't run during that time. So in your case, you need 21 separate intervals per campaign, three for each day of the week: 0am to 4am at +0%, 4am to 1pm at +150%, and 1pm to 0am at +0% again.

Editor shows the percentage of the week covered by each campaign's ad schedule. If you see 100% in Ad Schedule column on Campaigns tab, it means you've successfully covered the whole week, 24/7. Anything less means you have a gap in coverage.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Akkari,

Just to clarify Igor's final comments... if you're using the same schedule every day of the week, and you're creating them in the UI rather than Editor, you only need to physically create three, not 21 schedules since you can specify "All Days" for each of the three 00:00 - 04:00, 04:00 - 13:00 and 13:00 to 00:00.

You will still end up with 21 "periods" shown in the UI, but I wanted to clarify that in the UI you don't need to physically sit there and create all 21 separately.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Create schedule for one campaign in the online interface, then copy/paste it to other campaigns in Editor:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/53091

If you feel a bit more adventurous, you can create ad schedules directly in Editor, via CSV Import or Make Multiple Changes:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57751

There's no nice UI though, you get to compose a piece of text in a somewhat obscure format. Note also that, for certain historical reasons, the percentage in Editor format is a multiplier, not an adjustment. So an adjustment of +150% is written as @250% (and in general, the number in Editor equals the number in the online interface plus 100%).
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Ah, forgot to address #2. If you want your campaign to run 24 hours, you need to create intervals that cover 24 hours, for each day of the week. If you omit any, the campaign won't run during that time. So in your case, you need 21 separate intervals per campaign, three for each day of the week: 0am to 4am at +0%, 4am to 1pm at +150%, and 1pm to 0am at +0% again.

Editor shows the percentage of the week covered by each campaign's ad schedule. If you see 100% in Ad Schedule column on Campaigns tab, it means you've successfully covered the whole week, 24/7. Anything less means you have a gap in coverage.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Akkari,

Just to clarify Igor's final comments... if you're using the same schedule every day of the week, and you're creating them in the UI rather than Editor, you only need to physically create three, not 21 schedules since you can specify "All Days" for each of the three 00:00 - 04:00, 04:00 - 13:00 and 13:00 to 00:00.

You will still end up with 21 "periods" shown in the UI, but I wanted to clarify that in the UI you don't need to physically sit there and create all 21 separately.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Jon_Gritton@AdWordsEng-Igor

Thank you both for your very helpful responses. I actually created the adjustments for a single campaign through the interface as per Jon's advice to make things a little bit quicker. I want to add that I was able to replicate these changes for all campaigns involved through the interface in just a few steps, I'm listing them here in case anyone comes in here looking for the same thing:

1) After creating ad schedule and bid adjustments for a single campaign, go the settings tab.

2) On the left menu click "All Online Campaigns".

3) Select the campaigns you want to apply the same changes to.

4) Right next to "+ Campaign", Select Edit > Ad Schedule

5) Choose "Replace Ad Schedule from Another Campaign"

6) Make sure "include bid adjustments" is checked and press "Make Changes"

7) All good!

This helped me keeps the whole process inside the interface rather than messing with the Editor, it oftens scares me when I use it for anything other than creating ad groups/ads/keywords.

Thanks again!