AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Rotation Question

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

I realize this quite a specific question but any input would be appreciated!

Say I would be making campaigns for small businesses f.e. plumbers.

I make one campaign per plumber and to all these campaigns i add the same adgroups with a few different ad copies.

If I have f.e. 10 plumbers targeting the same region the following problem might occur:

My 10 plumbers compete with eachother and show the same ad (as Google rotates and chooses the one with the best CTR).

Is there any way I could make sure they don't show the same ad without making different ad copies for all 10 of them?

Kind Regards,

Steven

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Ad Rotation Question

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Keith - as far as i recall, what you describe would still be double serving. You can't have 10 websites that are all slightly different, all bidding on the same keyword. Otherwise what's to stop you occupying 1-10 in SERPS?

Even if the content is sufficiently diverse as you say, it doesn't change the fact it's the same site owner essentially trying to get the same thing out of the serps.

I may be wrong or misunderstood, though.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Steven

Interesting question.

1. I don't think that will work. You can't have 10 campaigns all with the same keywords (i.e. plumber) with only different ads. Even if you don't want to show them all at the same time, Google won't let you enter 10 of the same keywords in to the auction for one domain. That is, if I am reading your post correctly. Only one of your campaigns would trigger the keywords, the other 9 would remain inactive.

2. If I were you - I'd set up one campaign with however many groups you need, but let's say one group. That group is 'Plumbers' and it has "plumber + location" type keywords in it. It's a bit drastic but I'd then set up 10 ads in that group, one for each plumber (assuming they are all going to different landing pages on the same domain). I'd then set ads to rotate evenly and DO NOT optimise, so that you can ensure the 10 ads share the impressions as evenly as possible.

This way, you are not double serving (as in point 1) and you are getting your ads to compete against each other.

Does this make sense or have I misundertood you?

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello BuildingCף

First a correction: Goole will show ads based on their ad rank (the bid multiplied by QS)

As for your question: for that exact reason (not showing users a page full of ads by the same business) Google's "double serving" (system) allows only one ad per business on the search results page.

Further recommended reading / topics from the help center. (Upper right corner.)

1. Ad-rank
  2. Quality Score;
  3. Double serving
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi BuildingC,

If each 'plumber' has a different top level domain URL (plus sufficiently diverse website content) and therefore not violating the double serving policy then Google will rotate the Ads you have created in accordance with the setting you have selected under the following section of the campaign setting tab.

Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping

Is your concern is that several of your ads will show at the same time and all have very similar Ad text/content?  For example have very similar words in the heading, line 2 and line 3?

I'm afraid in that case I believe that you have to edit each group of Ads individually.    

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Keith - as far as i recall, what you describe would still be double serving. You can't have 10 websites that are all slightly different, all bidding on the same keyword. Otherwise what's to stop you occupying 1-10 in SERPS?

Even if the content is sufficiently diverse as you say, it doesn't change the fact it's the same site owner essentially trying to get the same thing out of the serps.

I may be wrong or misunderstood, though.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jack,

Yes, I think you're right.  Even if the sites are diverse enough and on different top level URLs if they are (or Google believes they are) operated by the same organisation or individual they will break the double serving policy.  

If the Ads are disapproved yet (or if the keywiords are not triggering the ads) they certainly could be subject to a suspension in the future.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jack,

Not sure I was clear enough describing my problem:

I am possibly thinking about starting an SEA business and making adwords campaigns for SME's.

If I have 10 plumbers that are my clients (all with their own website) I set up a campaign for each plumber. Seeing that that they all want to appear for the most relevant keywords such as 'plumber' 'plumber + location' I add the same keywords (and adgroups) to each of their campaigns. I also add the same 5 ad copies to each campaign. 

Is there a way that I could avoid that Google shows the same ad copies for all my clients when somebody googles 'plumber'?
 As in a kind of custom ad rotation within my account for example... or do I have to write seperate ad copies for all my clients in this case?

Also: Am I violating the Double Serving Policy If I would start a business like this?

Hope this is a bit more clear!

Thanks for the help guys!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Just found out that if I set it up like above Google will only show the ad for one of my campaigns.

However, If I make the same structure a level higher (I make an MCC and make an account for every plumber) my question is still valid I guess: so please do still reply Smiley Wink

Kind Regards,

Steven

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steven,

Google will rotate the Ads according to the section you make in the following section under your campaign settings.

Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping

There isn't away to make sure that this is co-ordinated accross all your plumber account/campaigns in the MCC.  The more Ad variations you have the less likely the same Ad will show however.  

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi BuildingC,

What you want to do is not all that unusual and I don't think you are at any risk of violating the double-serving policy. You will be advertising for different, unrelated plumbers. That's ok.

What you will want to do is get an MCC account. That will allow you to manage several accounts with a single login. Then, open a separate account for each of your clients. The standard method would be to allow the client access to the account and use their billing info on the accounts. The level of access is a bit up to you. Since each client has a different domain and a separate account, all ads will be eigible to show for the same keyword.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords