AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Rotation Algo Driving Me Bonkers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, the Ad rotation options changed, I get that. But I have a brand new campaign in which I have the ad rotation settings set to "rotate evenly." My understanding is that the ads will show evenly for 30 days, then the optimize algo will take over.

(Personally, I prefer to stay with rotate evenly so I can judge when there's enough data to make a decision. But I'll debate that another time in another forum.)

Anyway. This brand new campaign, which was set up May 14 has two ads. One was shown 1,955 times. The other was shown 73 times. There's an issue somewhere but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Ad Rotation Algo Driving Me Bonkers

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Most were marked as Ad not showing due to "low ad rank" and says that ad rank is based on bid and quality score (which is done at the keyword level, not the ad level.)

Actually, each ad has a "rank" for each keyword in the Ad Group, so Ad Rank really is calculated at the keyword level, not the Ad Group level. 

This is one reason why small, tightly themed Ad Groups are a "best practice" approach to campaign organization. The more closely related the keywords are to each other, the more likely they'll each have similar Ad Rank for the searches they serve.  

Also, Ad Rank is calculated for every search, every time your ad is eligible to participate in an ad auction. Because of this,, I generally find that, for instance, mixing Broad match or Modified Broad match keywords in the same Ad Group with Phrase and Exact match keywords doesn't give me the best results.

If you're getting "low ad rank" messages for the precise search terms that match your keywords, then I'd look to both keyword quality scores and bid levels. One of both are probably unreasonably low.

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey FatKarateKa,

The only thing I can think of is that your keywords might be triggering one ad more than the other due to relevance. Have you tried diagnosing each ad for all keywords?

Try the new status insights for ad or the ad diagnostic tool.

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Weird. So I did the status insights and put in a variety of keywords for the second ad. Most were marked as Ad not showing due to "low ad rank" and says that ad rank is based on bid and quality score (which is done at the keyword level, not the ad level.)

I'm so not getting this.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Are all of your keywords in the ad group / campaign closely related? If not, you should seperate these into different ad groups or even campaigns. This will help by creating tighter keyword groupings and corresponding ads, which will provide a better chance for keywords to trigger all ads in the group.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I dunno. I try to keep my adgroups small (with 30 or so keyphrases.). THIS group was created by someone else (then given to me to manage), so it's twice as large as usual, but they seem pretty tight to me. Most are short keyphrases with quotes. If I divided them up, it would be pretty aribitrary at this point. I can chop it up....see what happens.

It still seems to go against how I set up the campaign though. Ideally, the ads should show evenly, so I can decide what to move, what to delete and what to tweak. When I see a pattern emerging, I pull stuff into their own (even smaller) adgroups.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Most were marked as Ad not showing due to "low ad rank" and says that ad rank is based on bid and quality score (which is done at the keyword level, not the ad level.)

Actually, each ad has a "rank" for each keyword in the Ad Group, so Ad Rank really is calculated at the keyword level, not the Ad Group level. 

This is one reason why small, tightly themed Ad Groups are a "best practice" approach to campaign organization. The more closely related the keywords are to each other, the more likely they'll each have similar Ad Rank for the searches they serve.  

Also, Ad Rank is calculated for every search, every time your ad is eligible to participate in an ad auction. Because of this,, I generally find that, for instance, mixing Broad match or Modified Broad match keywords in the same Ad Group with Phrase and Exact match keywords doesn't give me the best results.

If you're getting "low ad rank" messages for the precise search terms that match your keywords, then I'd look to both keyword quality scores and bid levels. One of both are probably unreasonably low.

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Yes, something is wrong with the new rotate setting, regardless of long term optimization best practices. I have had to deal with the same issue for an account we just starting managing, for a campaign just created this month. Two ads set to rotate, 80-20 ad serving after several thousand impressions, and at least 100+ clicks per ad, over the course of five+ days. The ads did begin to rotate evenly, but it took about a week or so, for this new campaign. Older campaigns (in other accounts) had rotated 50-50, 47-53-ish during the same time frame. It seems like there may be some temporary new campaign ad rotation fluke, as a result of the new ad rotation settings. Double check today, and yesterday's data, and see if the rotate setting is actually working at this point.

There is a Brad Geddes post from G+ which seems to confirm that you can still use the rotate setting, if you plan it right. Who knows if the theory will match the practice at this point. It certainly seems like even if the rotate setting still exists in theory, the practice of the ad serving is far less even than it historically has been.

Tom

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey FatKarateKa,

There have been additional updates to the ad rotation feature, including the option to opt out. Take a look at:

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2012/06/update-to-recent-ad-rotation-change.html

Thanks,

BI

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Please take this POLL on the forum if you would submit the request form to Google to restore the old default rotation format.