AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Preview and Diagnosis limits my dc dc converter to Wash. DC!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When using Ad Preview and Diagnosis, my ads are not shown because we sell dc to dc converters and AdWords limits the results to ads in the Wash DC area. How can I change the location filter? I have the filter that I can use set to USA but I still get this message. 

Results from Ad Preview and Diagnosis:

Showing ads right now?

No
The keyword phrase you've entered doesn't currently trigger any of your ads.
Because your query included location terms, ads matching this location are shown: Washington, District of Columbia, United States  
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Techmom
September 2015

Re: Ad Preview and Diagnosis limits my dc dc converter to Wash. DC!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Techmom,

You are absolutely correct! DC appears to be a geographic term.

Here's what I found, though. Using the Ad Preview Tool, I entered "dc" followed by a keyword in my account that always triggers an ad. I go the same message as you! Then I entered your keyword (dc to dc converters). This time it just told me my ads were not being triggered.

Then I did a search on Google. Just as Theresa suggested, a full compliment of ads are shown along with the organic results.

My conclusion, based on the observation, is there are differences in the way the tool works and in the way that live search works when these kinds of geographical descriptors are involved. I would interpret the results this way. If the message says something about "Because your query included location terms", that means your ad is probably showing now. But the tool won't show which of your keywords is triggered by your query and it show your ad position.. If the tool just said "The keyword phrase you've entered doesn't currently trigger any of your ads.", your ad is not showing.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I tried a sample search from my location (Denver) and saw quite a few results in both organic listings and paid ads.

The problem might be in how AdWords is interpreting your website data. You might want to to check your webpage tags to make sure that you're clearly conveying "product" and not "geographic location"? Using hyphens and/or "dc to dc converter" as a page tag migh help.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you, but I get real results when I just search Google. If I use Ad Preview and Diagnosis, then the problem occurs. It's the keyword that I am using to search that triggers the respons, not my site content.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Your AdWords campaign is always linked to your website, even in a preview tool. Your website is the foundation of your account and how AdWords "interprets" the website is a key factor in how your ads are getting served.

In your case, this may be a limitation in the tool, interpreting the keyword as a geographic query. Since "live" Google searches don't seem to be blocked, there may not really be a problem. It's really a technical issue--you can use the "help" button in the upper right-hand corner of the AdWords screen to contact Google directly and maybe a tech person can answer the question.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have contacted tech previously, there appears to be no resolution. Of course it always goes to my website. But it's not the website content that determines the "showing only ads from Wash DC" that's the tools intrepretation of the keyword. I withdraw my question/comment. It's hopeless

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

If you've contacted technical support, that's really your best hope of getting an explanation of what's happening behind the scenes in this scenario.

My advice would be to keep asking them questions until you understand the answers. Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Techmom
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Techmom,

You are absolutely correct! DC appears to be a geographic term.

Here's what I found, though. Using the Ad Preview Tool, I entered "dc" followed by a keyword in my account that always triggers an ad. I go the same message as you! Then I entered your keyword (dc to dc converters). This time it just told me my ads were not being triggered.

Then I did a search on Google. Just as Theresa suggested, a full compliment of ads are shown along with the organic results.

My conclusion, based on the observation, is there are differences in the way the tool works and in the way that live search works when these kinds of geographical descriptors are involved. I would interpret the results this way. If the message says something about "Because your query included location terms", that means your ad is probably showing now. But the tool won't show which of your keywords is triggered by your query and it show your ad position.. If the tool just said "The keyword phrase you've entered doesn't currently trigger any of your ads.", your ad is not showing.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you. Maybe Tech will address that bug some day. Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just tried the search again today after an email from Google support and, great surprise!, it works, no more "showing only ads from Wash DC" response.  Of course tech thinks there never was a problem and I was just imagining it since the correct results now show.

Don't know how or why it started working, just happy it did.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Techmom,

I did escalate this issue last week. Maybe that helped. Glad it's working for you now.

Pete