AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

Right this is something that keeps bugging me. 

So The Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool shows my clients ad in position 1 for the search term 'accountants'. The location is set to Lincoln, which is where I am.

When I search on Google myself for accountants my client doesn't even rank.

Can anyone give me any clarity for this discrepancy?

Thanks,

Olly Smiley Happy 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Olly F;

The ad preview tool simulates a random user searching on Google; (no cookies stored)

The ads shown to you are customized to you based on your ad preferences setting.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe,

I understand the customisation using cookies. However when I search through an incognito window the ad still doesn't show, like it does in the ad preview tool.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Olly,

Very strange, i haven't experienced this personally.

Do you know if it's the AdWords tool having issues or your account?
Answering questions like this should help; Have you checked if that term is generating traffic and what keyword is generating that traffic? What is the average position of that keyword? And what search terms are generating this. All this should highlight if it's your account that's having the issue or if it's the keyword tool that is playing up.

Hope you get it solved.

Kind Regards,
Grace
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Olly,

Incognito mode only prevents Chrome from saving your site visit activity. Chances are your search history will still likely have an impact on what you see. I have reasons to believe that you did such searches multiple times earlier and never clicked. The system concluded there's no point in showing you that ad.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I am back a bit late, but @Lakatos "nailed the point". Incognito mode in not a random user. Though a cookie is not stored and themes of  sites visited are not "evaluated" for ad preferences, search history is counted towards the ads to be shown. If you searched Google too many, too often, using a given  or a similar  query, the ad, at some point, would stop to be shown.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a tool that works clients to test their ads without logging into adwords?  They want to write the ads and see what they will look like before they are a part of the campaign.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.