AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Placement

aym
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
aym
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am currently running ads for my trademark - CALL ANGELS.

I am the only advertiser (as you may appreciate) but I only appear at the bottom of the page, all on my own. Why am I not appearing at the top if I am the only advertiser?

Thanks in anticipation.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tiffany (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Ad Placement

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Aym,

Appearing in the top spot on a search results page is not guaranteed when there is no competition. Your adrank (a combination of bid and quality score) will be more likely to land you at the bottom of the page.

A quick suggestion is top focus your efforts on improving your relevancy which will hopefully induce more clicks which will help improve quality score.  It doesn't hurt to run your bids a little higher during this time as well.

Here are a couple previous threads that will shed a little more light on why and what you can do to help improve your position.

Why Google shoves ads to the bottom of the search

Ad at bottom of search results

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tiffany (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Aym,

Appearing in the top spot on a search results page is not guaranteed when there is no competition. Your adrank (a combination of bid and quality score) will be more likely to land you at the bottom of the page.

A quick suggestion is top focus your efforts on improving your relevancy which will hopefully induce more clicks which will help improve quality score.  It doesn't hurt to run your bids a little higher during this time as well.

Here are a couple previous threads that will shed a little more light on why and what you can do to help improve your position.

Why Google shoves ads to the bottom of the search

Ad at bottom of search results

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

aym
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
aym
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the insight.

Bit surprised that the only bidder isn't highlighted rather than shown at the bottom of the page but there you go.

I guess i'll up my bid a little.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Aym, hope you are doing good.

You said that your ad only appears at the bottom of the page. Well, your ad is also appearing at the right side of the google SERP coz the ads which have shown atleast once on the right side of the page are shown on the "bottom" spot. It might be that you only noticed your ad at the bottom spot when ever you previewed your ad with your eligible keyword !

Now being the lone advertiser for a keyword does not necessarily guarantee a top spot. For your ad to be eligible for the top spot on the page, it needs to exceed a certain quality score and CPC threshold.

Now obviously when your ad and keywords are new, they will take some time to accrue a good performance history, not to mention that you have to work to achieve a constantly good CTR for your keyword. Like Tom mentioned, increasing your CPC would help your ad achieve a good ad rank and thus a "visible" spot on the result page which in-turn would help you obtain a good CTR ( taking into consideration that you have a relevant and captivating ad copy on a keyword which has decent searches if not prodigious).

This high CTR along with your relevancy would help you increase your quality score with time and you would notice yourself that your ad is at the top spot once all necessary protocols are fulfilled.

Hope it helps.

Best

Mudit

PS- Its not always about aspiring for the top slot, a slot which satisfies your advertising goals is the one which is the golden goose, be it the top, side or bottom.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Aym, it may be some remedy for your disappointment that often times the golden goose is not the top spots. These ad positions often attract irresponsible users who click away your budget just for fun, w/o having genuine interest.