AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad IDs and content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

A client of mine has a weird request, they need the ad content text to display in the landing page where they are taken to through the ad URL.

How do I retrieve Ad ID from the url in the ad, in order to get the Ad content to my site? and what is the name of the function used to retrieve the ad by ID?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad IDs and content

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Sufian.

In order to achieve what you want you'll need these two things:

On the landing page, a server side script should pull the ad ID from the URL and its lines from the local database.

It's not quite straightforward, but it should work. 

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thats close to what I was thinking, but if I have the creative ad ID shouldn't I be able to retrieve the ad from adwords? The way you described it means that my client will need to insert the ad twice, once in adwords and once in the CMS, unless if we make it add to adwords by code from the CMS, right?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I'm pretty sure you can retrieve the ad content from AdWords, but you'll need to use the API (AdWords API) in order to do that, as valuetrack does not pass the whole ad content in the destination URL.

So you read the ID and then retrieve the content through the API and display it on the page.

However, if you do use the API please check for loading times first, because of you lose a second or two to retrieve the ad content from the closest Google server your landing page quality score component may be hurt. That's why a local solution might work better.

Come to think of it, you could populate your local ad database with your ads' content via scripting. You iterate through your ads and pass the ids and texts to a script on your server and then serve the ads content from your local database. If you run the script every day you'll have fresh enough content I assume. And you can also run the script manually if need be.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, What is the function used in Adwords API that retrieves the ad Content by ID (creative) not by AdGroup?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello, Joan. You caught me red handed with this one, I haven't used the API yet.