AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Formats on Google Maps

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

In the screenshot below there are 2 different ad formats. The 2nd ad is just a red dot when you hover over it to see which pointer on the map it corresponds with. The top ad is yellow on the map and also has a little promotional card that comes along with it. What I want to know is why there is a difference and what settings do you need to have to get the yellow format instead of the red?

auto insurance toronto   Google Maps.png

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Formats on Google Maps

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Does it become yellow when you zoom in closer?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@JoyHawkins;

Not sure what you mean by the "2nd ad", but all 3 types (info cards below the  search, box  yellow dot and text form ad) are standard Maps ads.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3246303?hl=en+

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Chris H when I zoom in on one that isn't yellow I do get a little card appearing but the pin is still red and not yellow.

@MosheTLV that help center article doesn't list a red format. See screenshot below. Also it references Classic Maps which went away last year so they should probably update that.

Here is what I get when I zoom in on one that is not yellow. I'm wondering if these are coming from AdWords Express?

Auto Insurance Toronto.png

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Any ideas?

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@JoyHawkins;

Then, my guess would be that this is another ad format, similar to other formats,  that Google tests occasionally.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’