AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Customizers - passing parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to pass parameters that are used in Ad Customizers so they can be used on the landing page?

Example: Ad Customizers are used to dynamically insert a phrase in ad text. This phrase is then passed in the URL to be dynamically inserted on page.

It seems like that should be possible, but I can't seem to find anything about it. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Richard

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Ad Customizers - passing parameters

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard M isn't this possible simply by using the Keyword level Destination URL?  If the user has entered a search term of "HP 4500" then presumably you're matching that to the customiser "Hewlett Packard 4500b" by using the Keyword matched, so you could simply define a URL for that Keyword that passes that customiser data to the website (in some fashion, either directly or by a code or id, etc.).

If you're looking for a way to dynamically generate these URLs by examining the customiser data sheet then that could be done with a script, but as @Dave_Davis says, depending upon the number of entries you have and the frequency of change, developing the script may not be time efficient.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Richard,
You'll need to use value track parameters in your template or final URLs.
See here for more details https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

It will then be up to you to extract the parameter from your URL using whatever scripting language your site is build with to then display in your page.
There's many articles on this depending on your programming language.

Hope that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

I already use ValueTrack and scripting to insert passed parameters.

But my question is specifically about passing parameters used in *Ad Customizers*.

Of course I can pass Ad Parameters using ValueTrack (using param1 and param2).

But what about Ad Customisers?

Thanks

Richard

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I presume you're only talking about the dynamically inserted keyword because the other ad customizer, the countdown, you wouldn't need to insert that.

So you'd use the keyword parameter like this: http://www.example.com/?keyword={keyword}
If you read the article I linked to, it's all in there.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

Like I say, I'm using DKI like that already. I'm also using custom parameters and tracking templates. I'm well aware of ValueTrack and that article. No, I'm not talking about the dynamically inserted keyword or a countdown.

As I'm sure you know, you can have a range of arbitrary parameters that can be inserted using Ad Customisers (e.g. price, location, model) – any text, even different from the keyword.

Another example: I want to pass the matching Ad Customizer "model" parameter. Search query is "HP 4500" - matching Ad Customizer "model" parameter is "Hewlett Packard 4500b" - the only place this appears is in the Ad Customizer data. I want to use Ad Customizers for the extra flexibility not possible when using the normal DKI you mention. When using Ad Customizers, can I pass this parameter from Ad Customizers (not from manually passing it at the keyword level in addition)?

There doesn't appear to be a ValueTrack parameter. Is this possible?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Richard, Sorry, when you mentioned ad customizers I assumed you meant the default two in the UI. I'm aware of a couple of parameters available that are not listed in the standard set (link I provided), however, I don't know of any more. Essentially, all we have to work with have been published (except for two from years ago of course). I'll ask around, and someone else might chime in with additional info, but I don't think this is possible outside of using your own custom parameters. That seems like it will defeat the purpose for your use case though. An alternative might be to use scripts but this might be overkill considering the value you'll get for the effort expended. Youll also have to have these in a separate spreadsheet and I'm not sure what the logistics of that are for you currently. Let me ask around and get back to you. A new valuetrack parameters generally doesn't make front page AdWords news so there might be something.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard M isn't this possible simply by using the Keyword level Destination URL?  If the user has entered a search term of "HP 4500" then presumably you're matching that to the customiser "Hewlett Packard 4500b" by using the Keyword matched, so you could simply define a URL for that Keyword that passes that customiser data to the website (in some fashion, either directly or by a code or id, etc.).

If you're looking for a way to dynamically generate these URLs by examining the customiser data sheet then that could be done with a script, but as @Dave_Davis says, depending upon the number of entries you have and the frequency of change, developing the script may not be time efficient.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon. I'm going to be passing the parameters at the ad level so I can split test ads and always have a solid message match on the landing page.

I know I could just pass all parameters in the URL and do away with Ad Customizers, but I hoped I'd be able to use them to do some interesting things that aren't possible with Keyword Level Final URLs.

I'd thought it might not be possible, but I'm often surprised by the insights from the community. Thanks to both of you for your time/input on this.

Richard

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
Here's yet another example of true Community spirit and expert power.

Kudos to Jon and Dave for helping @Richard M

Ad Customizers - passing parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I correctly understand the conclusion you reached, it's that it's impossible to dynamically generate url params with ad customizer data. Do I understand you correctly that you just generated separate ads via scripts to address this issue? If so, this seems like a huge downside of using customizers! I'd prefer not to make tens of thousands of ads for all the year/make/model combos I'm using in my customizers. Please let me know if you found a decent solution other than making many, many ads via scripts.

Thanks!