AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Customizers based on Location of business vs user?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I've read on multiple blogs that you can use ad customizer's target location with location extensions, but I'm not seeing how that's possible in any of the documentation.  It seems as though ad customizers support targeting the user's location only and location extensions have nothing to do with it. 

Ideally, I'd like to use ad customizers to show data based on the nearest business location - not specifically the location of the user.  For example, if I have 3 locations, AdWords already serves up the location extension info for the business location closest to the user.  I would love to use ad customizers to show info related to that location (e.g. "Conveniently Located in Manhattan").   But if I can only target based on the user's location, I would have to include a giant list of locations in the ad customizer data feed and guess which business location Google would determine to be the closest one - so it matches the location extension.  

This seems impractical.  Am I missing something?  Is there a way to target ad customizers by business location or location extension? 

Re: Ad Customizers based on Location of business vs user?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@cotton9

This is an interesting question. In these blogs you're mentioning what kind of scenario are they describing where they are being used together? 

You are correct in saying "It seems as though ad customizers support targeting the user's location only and location extensions have nothing to do with it."

It sounds like your scenario is with multiple locations in the same city. Is that correct?  I don't think there is a way to correlate an Ad Customizer to the location extension being served in the ad.

Ad Customizers based on Location of business vs user?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the comment, To clarify...

My use case actually involves a single business with 3 locations.  Let's say San Francisco, Oakland, and Sacramento, CA.  I can make an ad customizer record to target Oakland, CA, and if someone is in Oakland, CA, they'll see an ad that may include "Visit our downtown Oakland location" along with the Oakland location ad extension.  That's great.  

But what if someone lives in San Rafael, which is about halfway between Oakland and San Francisco?  Google will serve the location extension of the nearest business location.  But is it going to be for the Oakland or San Francisco location?  We don't know for sure.  (Without using more specific geo-targeting, of course.)

Even if I use an ad customizer target location of "San Rafael, CA" and every other suburb, I can't use "Visit Our ______ Location" ad customizer copy without the risk that it will contradict the location extension.  

Are we limited to ad copy like "Visit Our Location Near San Rafael?", and do we have to make an ad customizer for every possible suburb to pull that off?  I really only want to include customized copy based on the nearest business location.

Re: Ad Customizers based on Location of business vs user?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@cotton9

Thanks for clarifying. I think we are on the same page.  Even if it would work the way you would like it to, I can think of a couple of reasons why it can't.

The first is that there are no guarantees that the location extension will always serve in an ad. So what would the ad customizer do in a scenario with no location extension served?

The second is mobile.  I've seen many mobile search instances of the "which is closest" scenario where it actually will show two or three location extensions at the same time. I just did one for "Best Buy" on my  phone and was served an ad that had two location extensions showing, both within 7 to 8 miles of my location.  That would of course cause a conflict if you could set an ad customizer based on a location extension.

I certainly commend you for wanting to create the most useful ads possible for your users, but I just don't think it can work beacause of the reasons I've given above.