AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Customizer: New feature, Next Generation of Ad param

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all.

Im using ad customizers which look great to set dynamic campaigns for multiple products.

Dynamic ads are running well, but including an standard ad in the ad group is compulsory to show them. Dynamic ads stops automatically thanks to the countdown functionality but standards does not. So my question is, how can I automatically pause the standard ad when the product end date has arrived?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MCC L
September 2015

Re: Ad Customizer: New feature, Next Generation of Ad param

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

The automated rules functionality would not be connected to your data feed, you'd have to set it up manually - something like pause ads, one time, on a specific date/time when impressions from yesterday were greater than 1 - you can probably use any simple data point that will generally always be met.

It's probably not the cleanest method to do this, but one that would work.

That said, if you have an extensive feed that is always changing and updating your ads etc...this may not be a good idea at all.

Only you know the size of the data set you're working with and the volume of ads etc...

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi MCC,

I think there are some assumptions here that need to be made in order to accurately attempt to assist you.

So, it seems that perhaps you may have an ad group or campaign that includes some ad customizers that will count down to a specific event. It also seems that you would like all other ads in that ad group, perhaps, to pause at the same time...is that right? Essentially saying that the ad group doesn't need to be active once the event has arrived and the countdown has ended.

If this is the case, you could set up a one time automated rule to run that would pause your ads roughly around the same point. The ad customizer ads would stop running and the remaining ads would get paused.

If there is another scenario, please elaborate on it and maybe someone can try to assist with an alternative solution.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
did you try to pause the compulsory standard ad right from the beginning? Or does this prevent the customized ads from showing up as well?

Otherwise you could use the start and end date functionality on campaign level (to end the whole campaign on a given date). Is this more or less what you want to do?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, automated rules is another good solution to solve this :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tommy.
Yes, this is exactly what I need.
What automated rule do you recommend to set?
I don't find an option like "pause adgroup when end date in feed is yesterday" ... So the customize ad and the standard ad take the same end date as reference to be paused.
Cheers.
Fabio
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MCC L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

The automated rules functionality would not be connected to your data feed, you'd have to set it up manually - something like pause ads, one time, on a specific date/time when impressions from yesterday were greater than 1 - you can probably use any simple data point that will generally always be met.

It's probably not the cleanest method to do this, but one that would work.

That said, if you have an extensive feed that is always changing and updating your ads etc...this may not be a good idea at all.

Only you know the size of the data set you're working with and the volume of ads etc...

-Tommy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I will try this.
Thanks for your answer, Tommy!