AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Customizer: Current Day of the week

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I would like to know if it's possible to use Ad Customizers to insert the Current day of the week in the Ad text.

I know there is a 2nd solution to create e.g. 7 different ads and create an ad schedule to show each ad on a different day.

For easy data readability I would like to have something like this:

Headline 1: Today is {Current day of the week}

Or:

Headline 1: Only {days to wednesday} days until wednesday

Description: But it is also nice on {current day of the week}

Thanks in advance for any help given!

Regards,

Robbert

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad Customizer: Current Day of the week

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Robbert,

This is a very good question. As you have likely discerned, there is not an out-of-the-box solution to include day of the week using ad customizers. However, I do have an idea but I have not tried it before myself. Navigate to this page on Countdown ad customizers and scroll to the section titled "You want your ad updated for recurring events". Using this framework you could upload an ad customizer file titled "dayOfWeek" with two columns like the screenshot at the bottom. You should then be able to correctly populate your ads using the below syntax:

Headline 1: Today is {=dayOfWeek.Day}

This assumes that using the "{=COUNTDOWN(" function is not required

Or:

Headline 1: Only {=COUNTDOWN(wednesdays.Event)} days until Wednesday

Description: But it is also nice on {=dayOfWeek.Day}

This functionality would require TWO ad customizer files. The new file would only have rows for Wednesdays. On Wednesday it would count down hours until the end of Wednesday.

Capture.PNG

Remember that this is theoretical as I haven't used this sort of implementation before. I do have a lot of experience with ad customizers though so I hope this works and helps you!

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jim,

Many thanks! Followed your steps and I think it will work. 

As you can see in the next image I inserted the function you mentioned in your solution:

Testdayscount.PNG

As you can see I inserted the countdown to the next monday. The preview shows a countdown of 3 days, whereas monday is in 6 days (today is tuesday)

For completion purposes, in the next image the mapping in the CSV uploaded for 'mondays':

Mondays.PNG

Because the '3 days' in the ad is a preview, I think this might be fixed when enabling the ads for real. Is this assumption true? 

I don't know any way to be sure, other than enabling the ad, which I can't, because I need to be sure it is correct.

Your help is appreciated!

Regards,

Robbert

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Robbert,

It's difficult to know why it says "3 days" instead of "6 days" without being in your account. Here are my ideas - please reference this page to see examples:

• Countdown customizers (by default) start showing their ads 5 days before the end time
  • Format the date in the same way it's formatted on the reference page
  • I believe that headline 1 should read "[=COUNTDOWN(mondays.Event)}
  • As you stated, it may be fixed when you push the ad live. Could you try activating the ad in a very low volume ad group to minimize the traffic in case it isn't correct still?
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.