AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Customizer - Ad Preview

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Guys, 

I just started with the ad customizers, I used the COUNTDOWN Parameter for a one time event. Looks like this:

{=COUNTDOWN("yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss", "de", 18)} . I also made a default ad, as this is mandatory by Google. I thought that this default ad would just be shown in case the customized ad doesn't work. Now I see that actually this customized ad is just shown 71,16 %  instead of 100%. I wonder why that is. I also want to check of the ad is properly working by using the preview tool from Google. The problem is, that in this tool, Google only shows the default ad, not the customized ad. 

Does anyone know more about this? So why is the customized ad not always shown and why is it not possible to see the customized ad in the preview tool?

Thanks!

Fenna

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ahmed Ali (Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Ad Customizer - Ad Preview

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Fenna,

At this time the Ad Preview tool won't show your Customized ad. You also need to understand that the standard ad isn't a back up ad, and standard ad rotation will still apply.

Kathleen

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ahmed Ali (Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Fenna,

At this time the Ad Preview tool won't show your Customized ad. You also need to understand that the standard ad isn't a back up ad, and standard ad rotation will still apply.

Kathleen

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you Kathleen!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Here's my workaround for this:

1. I set the campaign to rotate Ads evenly Campaign => Setting => Ad delivery => Choose: Rotate evenly
  2. Then duplicate the Customized Ad 4 or 5 times by just changing the Display URL (or spaces and dots in Ad text), to guarantee that my Custom Ad will serve at least 80% of the time.
    Since I saw from my experiments that they system tend to show standard Ad more often when I am rotating for more clicks.

*If duplicating Ads will give you a headache when reporting detailed performance, use Excel pivot tables to sum all duplicates of custom Ad.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
You could create a 2nd ad that is just real bad. Maybe have it say please don't click this ad. Of course that might backfire and you get a lot of clicks.

Mohamed why would you not just create duplicate ads? Google will let you have the exact same ad several times. Also thanks for the idea. I'm going to do this.