AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Customisers - Error

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Afternoon all!

I want to pick the community's brains and hopefully come across a fellow PPC'er that has encountered the same error as this.

Currently I'm trying to configure Ad Customisers for a client. Specifically I'm using the COUNTDOWN function that doesn't require any business data to be uploaded.

I have added the following as my description line 2:

Only {=COUNTDOWN("2014/12/7 00:00:00","en-GB",21)} Left.

However I am given this error when viewing the ads diagnostics:

Ads Showing - No

Reasons
  • Your ad can't show because its parameters couldn't be filled in. Make sure that you check that you have matching values that fit within character limits.

The description line 2 I've given above has been shortened as much as possible. There are only 11 other characters including punctuation and spaces. I believe the Ad Customisers' maximum character count is 10 as "minutes" is the longest word from days, hours and minutes that would be shown in the countdown. 

(For example: "3 days" or "4 hours" or "45 minutes" - the latter is the longest possible variation)

I've tried everything to get this to work but now I'm a little baffled. I've not used the Ad Customisers feature before so I could be doing something wrong - It would be great if someone could point out my mistake :-)

All the best,

Spike

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Spike-Patching
September 2015

Re: Ad Customisers - Error

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Spike,

I would have to agree with the Google rep here. I am currently running the ad customiser countdown and have that error on all of my ads that are running the customiser (168 different ads currently). These ads are all still running fine and receiving impressions, clicks and conversions.

So I am going to go with an erroneous error message that is not actually the case.

These are ads are constantly receiving new impressions and clicks throughout the day, so it is not a case of data pre error message.

Are your ads receiving data?

Hope this alleviates your worry somewhat!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

Thank you all so much for your replies and my apologies for the delayed response!

I called the AdWords support team and they were able to look into the issue. The problem was indeed an incorrect error message from the Ad Diagnostics and the advert was pending review.

The advert was eventually approved and it has now received some clicks and impressions Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

All the best,
Spike

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Spike,
I've created an ad in my test account using your exact description line 2, and it's saved for me.

Try clearing your cache and cookies, and let me know if you're still having issues. I'll be able to have someone take a closer look.

Kathleen

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for your reply - I don't have any problems saving the advert. The problem is the diagnostics gives the error message "Your ad can't show because its parameters couldn't be filled in. Make sure that you check that you have matching values that fit within character limits."

I've just spoken to a Google rep on the phone who informs me that the diagnostic error messages can be erroneous themselves on new features.

Here's a screenshot of the message. (I've covered the keyword for my client's privacy)

screenshot.jpg

The issue has been escalated and I've been told that potentially it could just be waiting for a manual review and that the status of the advert sometimes won't show "Under Review".

I'll try and remember post back here with the outcome to help anyone that lands on this page when searching for the same error message.

All the best,

Spike

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI Spike

I'm experiencing the same issue too, any news on this today?

Kind regards

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Spike-Patching
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Spike,

I would have to agree with the Google rep here. I am currently running the ad customiser countdown and have that error on all of my ads that are running the customiser (168 different ads currently). These ads are all still running fine and receiving impressions, clicks and conversions.

So I am going to go with an erroneous error message that is not actually the case.

These are ads are constantly receiving new impressions and clicks throughout the day, so it is not a case of data pre error message.

Are your ads receiving data?

Hope this alleviates your worry somewhat!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi spike, l also tried ad customizer for a campaign for test and faced same problems while checking keywords status by using keyword diagnostic tool but when I manually searched on google found that everything was fine, my ad was running fine.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey All,

Have any of you tried using the "Scheduling" option under 'Standard Attributes' in a business data feed? I've been playing around with it for a while now and my format (Monday, 12:01 AM - 11:59 PM) which would appear correct according to documentation is still kicking back errors on me.

What I found with the countdown function was that until the feed was approved (and even a bit after) I was also getting mixed messages from the diagnosis tool, but as previously mentioned, my ads are showing.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Hi All,

Thanks for the examples. I will have someone take a closer look and provide an update here. 

Cheers,

Mini

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

Thank you all so much for your replies and my apologies for the delayed response!

I called the AdWords support team and they were able to look into the issue. The problem was indeed an incorrect error message from the Ad Diagnostics and the advert was pending review.

The advert was eventually approved and it has now received some clicks and impressions Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

All the best,
Spike

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
Really appreciate you updating this thread. Thanks Spike.