AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Account access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, 

I opened an AdWords account after being invited by another user, who has administrative access, and was granted standard access myself. I now wish to keep this account, by adding my own payment method and campaign but don't want this person to be able to use this account or see any information on it. In other words, remove all access to the person who originally invited me. Since I am not an administrator and that person is, I cannot revoke access by simply deleting the email address.

How can I keep the account, the same email and all data on it, and delete the former administrator?

Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Account access

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Bink,

Very well done in your response. 

I think you would have two options here. 

1.  Contact the old business partner and ask them to give you administrative access to the account so you can take full control and update billing info.

2.  Contact AdWords support and see what they have to say.  You may be able to start a new account (although that may not be what you want to do). 

I think that because your billing information is not on the account, I'm thinking that you will not be able to gain full access or full ownership without the help of your old partner.

These situations are a bit tricky and unfortunate to deal with.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Bink,

As far as I know you will need to get the username & password of the administrative user in order to take control. 

Thanks,

BI

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Bink,

Can you clarify a couple of things here for us, please?

1.  Did you employ someone to open and/or manage an AdWords account on your behalf or on behalf of your business?

2.  Is the account that you have standard access to your account for your business only?

3.  Who's payment data is currently in the AdWords account?

I'm trying to determine the exact set up to provide you as many options as possible.  I'm not clear on the fact that YOU opened an account after being invited...that seems out of order on how things work.

If you can clarify these items, we may be able to come up with a solution for you.

Cheers!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom! Here are my answers..

1.  Did you employ someone to open and/or manage an AdWords account on your behalf or on behalf of your business? We were business partners, we are no longer working together. The email and adwords account remains in my posession. 

2.  Is the account that you have standard access to your account for your business only? The account is only for business but I have the password and "ownership" of the account.

3.  Who's payment data is currently in the AdWords account? The other person's payment data is currently in the account, but I can change it for my own without a problem.

I'm trying to determine the exact set up to provide you as many options as possible.  I'm not clear on the fact that YOU opened an account after being invited...that seems out of order on how things work. My formar partner setup its own account and invited me (this account) to join adwords so I could get the reports from our campaigns. I was only granted standard access. I want to remove this person from being administrator and keep the account myself with the same email and everything.

Hope I gave every answer needed, thank you for your help!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi BI,

The administrator has its own account and is not the owner of this account. I got standard access to see the campaign's reports. I don't mind losing the data as long as I can remove this user from accesing this account's campaign information and payment method (which will change to my own). 

I can't really contact this person, is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Bink,

Very well done in your response. 

I think you would have two options here. 

1.  Contact the old business partner and ask them to give you administrative access to the account so you can take full control and update billing info.

2.  Contact AdWords support and see what they have to say.  You may be able to start a new account (although that may not be what you want to do). 

I think that because your billing information is not on the account, I'm thinking that you will not be able to gain full access or full ownership without the help of your old partner.

These situations are a bit tricky and unfortunate to deal with.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Tom!

I was actually trying to avoid contacting my former business partner but I'm guessing that's not a viable option. AdWords support has yet to give me an answer on the matter.

Thanks again, you've been great!

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Bink,

Thanks for the response.

I'm a little confused. You say you have "ownership" of the account although you only have standard access... technically, the Administrator is the owner. Do you have the username & password for the Administrative user? I'm guessing not since you don't want to contact the old business partner.

Also, you mention that you're not concerned with losing the data, so why not open a new account and replicate the campaigns? This seems like it would be the easiest (less stressful) way to go about it Smiley Happy

My advice would be to download the account in AdWords Editor (you can do this with Standard Access), save the account out from there in a CSV file and then upload it back into AdWords Editor, but into a new account.

Thanks,

BI