AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Account Structure For Large Geographically Targeted Account

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All! 

We run a website that helps people find private local tutors, and are having difficulties scaling our Adwords campaign. We have tutors for different subjects and in different cities. So far, we've been adding each city as a separate campaign in Adwords, and then creating separate adgroups for each subject. E.g.

London

- London Maths Tutors

- London Science Tutors

Manchester

- Manchester Maths tutors etc...

Obviously this approach has serious scaling problems given there are thousands of cities we could target, and we need to create several ads for each ad group and unique sitelinks for every adgroup.

One approach we've been exploring is using Ad Customisers, so we would create a campaign for Maths Tutors, geotarget it to every city we want to advertise in, and then add ad customizers for each location (so we can still have adverts like "Maths Tutors in London". The drawback is that we cant change the target URL to something like "http://example/Maths-Tutors-London".

Another approach is to continue with the same one-city-to-one-campaign approach and just write scripts for each one. That feels like a waste though when the adverts will be so similar - we're just trying to change the Location, URL and sitelinks for each one (we'd like to vary the bids by city too).

Any thoughts from more seasoned professionals on the best way to go about achieving this? 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Account Structure For Large Geographically Targeted Account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
My experience is that for large scale Geo targeting the best approach would be to use the API with the help of a programmer.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am a programmer so that sounds like a good solution. Do you know what the best account structure to use the API to create would be? Do you think just creating lots of ads is the best approach? What about updating those adverts at a later date? Does that require some separate programming?

I know that some companies must have these things nailed, I just don't know what the best approach is (e.g. Booking.com seems to have separate location ads for every location imaginable).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

In the travel industry the common approach to manage different offering  with many products  is dynamic search ads.

This does require some learning and  rigorous structure of the web site.

Read more here;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471185?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’