AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Access Control to Google Adwords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for an agency that manages the PPC accounts for over 1000 clients.  As you can image management of all of these campaigns takes several agents and each agent has been invited and has their own login to the master account.

With 10's of thousands of dollars being spent on our campaigns every day it is really important that we monitor what each employee is doing with their accounts.

1) Is there a way to restrict access to our employees a login accounts from only the office (ie: restrict access by IP address)?

2) Is there a way to generate reports so we can see the daily activity of each agent so we can review them?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Access Control to Google Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

JoeyVegas; Welcome to our community;

As for your first question: if your agency uses Google Apps for Business Premier edition you could do that using SSO (Single Sign On) option available for Google apps. That does require some technical work, but when set, you can limit access to a given IP or a network. See more details in Google Apps Administrator help center.

As for your 2nd question: I'm not quite sure, but I think that if every agent is assigned a known list of accounts, there should be a way to generate a report, on a daily basis, about activities in those accounts, using API access.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
@JoeyVegas

@MosheTLV - that's a cool idea about the Google Apps restrictions.

The other way to do this (if it doesn't "alert" your clients) is to use tiered MCC accounts. This will allow each agent to login to only their own accounts. You will also be able to run reports at the MCC level. You can see Google's link here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/agency/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=44611

It's a step I haven't gotten around to yet with my agency, as we are much smaller, and don't need to segregrate accounts yet.

Additionally, Google has labels at the account and campaign levels that can allow you to run reports if you use them to segment out each employees (agents) responsibility.

http://support.google.com/adwords/agency/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=183652

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2012/04/slice-and-dice-your-data-using-adwords.html

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The more I'm looking into our problems with Google the more furstrated I'm getting. We spend on average $25k a week with Google and it makes me nuts that we cant get an actual Google rep on the phone to help us when we have immediate issues. What kind of company does business like this? Going hand and hand with Adwords is Google Places. We have 427 seperate Google Places accounts each with different email addresses and up to 10 listings per account. Why do we have so many? Because if Google suspendes one listing, they suspend them all and we have no recourse except to reclaim the other listings which takes weeks or even months. It's insane! This is primary the reason that we are now pushing Bing as the primary PPC provider. We have multiple reps with Bing, and they take care of all our issues with a phone call. I wish Google would respect and support the agencies who spend real money with them.

So, I've had multiple tell me it is not possible but I will at least ask this here, is there a way to get an actually rep from Google? Someone we can call when we have major issues and we really need to get something done...someone who can direct us on the best ways to manage the thousands of adwords campaigns, hundreds of Googe Place listings by multiple employees.

Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

JoeyVegas;

I have moved your last post up the queue, to get some attention. Since this discussion was marked "solved", it cannot be escalated. The best would be if you can open a new thread for your last post, and we will try to escalate it.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I created a new thread for my last reply as you directed. Thank you!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

All though we have a large number of accounts most of them don't need all that much management to require a separate rep for a group of customers. Thus a sales supervisor, billing manager, customer service manager, and a campaign setup employee all need full access to all accounts. We just don't want any employees messing with accounts outside of work.

What I'm thinking for a quick solution would be to have our development team create a "shell" browser type application which will automatically log the user in to their Google account. The employee will never know their password and will only be able to log in from any computer other then their computer at work.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@JoeyVegas - that's probably one of the cleanest ways to do it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. No,it is not restricted to access by IP address only.

2. Yes you must see the daily activities of each agent & review them.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2012. Threads that are more than a few months old should not be posted to. 

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.