AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

About Search Impression Share

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Everyone,

I am bit confused with search impression share, what exact it is? I had google it & found "Impression share (IS) is the number of impressions you've received divided by the estimated number of impressions you were eligible to receive. Eligibility is based on your current ads' targeting settings, approval statuses, bids, and quality."

Can anyone please help me out with Bold highlighted line?

Also i am working on Shopping Brand campaign & found impression is decreasing consistently. How i can make it better?

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pankaj S
April 2016

Re: About Search Impression Share

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The "number of impression you were eligible to receive" is the number of actual searches that match your combined targeting (keywords, location, schedule, etc.) and wouldn't have required you to raise your bid more then tenfold.

So, for example, if your campaign has 1000 impressions and 20% impression share for the day, that means there were approximately 5000 real searches that day that matched your keywords and location/schedule/audience targeting.

As others have said, you can lose share due to budget (searches that happened after you ran out of daily budget) or AdRank (searches that happened before you ran out of money, but you didn't rank high enough to show on the first page).

In theory, if your advertising makes more money than it costs you, you should always want 100% share. If your campaign is new, establishing positive ROI should come first!

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Your impression share will be greatly impacted by your quality score and bids/budgets. Lets say you were Nike.com and bidding on Adidas brand terms. You've got low relevance and you'll see that by Lost impression share due to rank. Lets say you are selling real estate in SF and have $100 per day budget, you will lose impressions due to budget. You will also see this in your stats. Make sure you pull all the columns for impression share so you can see where you are missing out on IS%.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

An impression share represents the likelihood your ad will participate in an auction a win a slot,  This is a statistical estimate based on your past performances.

Note that a search exact match IS is a better indication of performance  because the denominator only includes the number of estimated impressions when a search term  exactly   matches  a keyword and triggers the ad. (secnarions when a synonym  KW triggers the ads are excluded)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pankaj S
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The "number of impression you were eligible to receive" is the number of actual searches that match your combined targeting (keywords, location, schedule, etc.) and wouldn't have required you to raise your bid more then tenfold.

So, for example, if your campaign has 1000 impressions and 20% impression share for the day, that means there were approximately 5000 real searches that day that matched your keywords and location/schedule/audience targeting.

As others have said, you can lose share due to budget (searches that happened after you ran out of daily budget) or AdRank (searches that happened before you ran out of money, but you didn't rank high enough to show on the first page).

In theory, if your advertising makes more money than it costs you, you should always want 100% share. If your campaign is new, establishing positive ROI should come first!