AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

API is making automated changes to AdWords somehow, how can I turn them off?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I contacted my AdWords rep about some unusual changes found in the change history. They are listed under my login email but I did not make these changes. She came back after speaking to the technical team and told me they were made using a script or API. I checked under the account scripts and bulk edits, but did not see the changes listed there.

For some more detail - I first noticed negative web sites being added to a search campaign which seemed odd, and later on newly added extended ads being removed. These strange changes were all applied on the same day in a short time span. It has me concerned that adding the ads back again will result in removal all over again. The only clue I had to any of this was the change I know I DID apply myself - which was editing IP exclusions with our correct local IP. My rep did not seem to think that change would cause the negative websites addition though. 

I have never used the API, nor know how to. I've also never used a script, although it's something I want to learn in the near future.

TLDR: Is there some way I can pinpoint where these changes came from and/or stop them from happening in the future? I still feel unsure how they happened for sure

.negativewebsite.pngnegative websites1.pngextended ad removal2.pngextended ad removal 23.pngextended ad removal 3

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Heather,

That's a very intriguing question!

You can use this link to see a link of the apps connected to your Google account (make sure that you're logged into your Google AdWords account in the browser you use to go to this url): https://myaccount.google.com/permissions?pli=1.

The changes you're describing sound like changes an automated ad management tool might make, so there's a good chance you'll see something linked to your account using the link above.

Let me know if that helps you identify the culprit!

Best,

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't see anything on there like an ad management tool, just my regular browser plugins. I did still press my account rep for further assistance investigating but she is on vacation until next week, maybe she will be able to help me. 

If you have any other ideas, let me know!

Thanks,

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Heather,

Have you also checked to see if any Automated Rules are set up? (More info here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en)

Best,

John