AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

A large number of similar domains (fraud) on my placements report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently started a new adgroup in my display campaign targeting the interest category HR, and now my placements report is FULL of hundreds domains which all follow the same structure get[job title]jobs.com. For example: 

getmanufacturingjobs.com

gettelemarketingjobs.com

getflightattendantjobs.com

getcustomerservicejobs.com

and hundreds more...

My conversion action is a whitepaper download, and I am seeing a huge volume of these leads coming from these sites. However the regularity and similarity of these domains forces me to believe that I am experiencing click-fraud and/or very low quality of leads from these sites.

I've started to exclude them, but I am curious if anyone else is seeing this kind of strange occurrence? I called google to report my suspicions but I haven't heard back yet.

Should I be worried about these domains?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen E
September 2015

Re: A large number of similar domains (fraud) on my placements report?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen E,

These are search sites, all job related. They are showing both Google ads and the Google search results.

The sites could be both AdSense for Content (Display Network) and AdSense for Search (Search Network). On further checking of internal pages, it appears they do both, but not necessarily on the same page.

I looked at a few of the sites. They all use the same layout, templates and Javascript to produce the ads. The sites are aimed at people looking for work. I don't imagine that's what your whitepaper is about. "interest category HR" seems to be people looking for work, not people looking for ways to manage and/or supervise employees. Is that what you are looking for?

I would also imagine these a very low quality leads that you pay for. Serving the whitepaper is not exactly free. I think I'd be concerned. Either you have a lot of web sites to exclude, or, as Moshe suggests, you may want to re-think your targeting method.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

This the exact reason I don't like interests or  auto placements; You get a lot of low quality leads. (most of the clicks are valid!) ; I always give the example that I once visited the chinese Adwords community, and since then I found chinese as an interest category; on my interests list. (On the Google account) 

My recommendation: Switch to managed placements or topics; Those are better targeting methods on the display.;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephen E
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen E,

These are search sites, all job related. They are showing both Google ads and the Google search results.

The sites could be both AdSense for Content (Display Network) and AdSense for Search (Search Network). On further checking of internal pages, it appears they do both, but not necessarily on the same page.

I looked at a few of the sites. They all use the same layout, templates and Javascript to produce the ads. The sites are aimed at people looking for work. I don't imagine that's what your whitepaper is about. "interest category HR" seems to be people looking for work, not people looking for ways to manage and/or supervise employees. Is that what you are looking for?

I would also imagine these a very low quality leads that you pay for. Serving the whitepaper is not exactly free. I think I'd be concerned. Either you have a lot of web sites to exclude, or, as Moshe suggests, you may want to re-think your targeting method.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am very concerned! I am looking for HR reps inside of companies, not people looking for jobs. I have since added all of these sites as negatives to the account to try and filter them out. I've already added over 500 domains from this family of sites...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Stephen, as Moshe has suggested, it's a better idea to target positively the sites that you believe will be useful - via Managed Placements - than it is to try and add negatives for a vast number of sites.  You will probably find that you only need a few tens of really useful sites to give you good results but you could end up with many thousands of negative sites if you try and work that way...

More about Managed Placements

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits