AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

A/B test PLA promotional message

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I would like to A/B-test the PLA ads promotional message. Practically I'm thinking to duplicate the Ad Group and set a different message. Would it hurt in any way to have two Ad Groups with all products targeted?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: A/B test PLA promotional message

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi there, 

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The best way to A/B test a PLA promotional message would be to just set up two ads within the same ad group. We wouldn't really recommend duplicating the ad group because you'll essentially be bidding against yourself and driving up the CPC on all your products. 

Creating two ads in the same ad group won't give you the perfect A/B test because you won't be able to guarantee that they both run 50/50, but it's the best option you have in order to avoid increased bids. The two ads would run evenly at first until our system notices one performing better than the other at which stage the better performing ad will be served more often. 

Let us know if you have any further questions about this. 

Hannah

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

HI Admin,

Thank you for your posting. I've asked a member of our Adwords Support team to follow-up with you on your PLA question. You should expect to be contacted shortly.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi, have you got any reply? Thanks!

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Admin,

Sorry for the delay. The issue is still being reviewed by support. They should be contacting you within the next 48 hours. Thank you for your patience.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Smiley Happy Did you get the reply?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi there, 

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The best way to A/B test a PLA promotional message would be to just set up two ads within the same ad group. We wouldn't really recommend duplicating the ad group because you'll essentially be bidding against yourself and driving up the CPC on all your products. 

Creating two ads in the same ad group won't give you the perfect A/B test because you won't be able to guarantee that they both run 50/50, but it's the best option you have in order to avoid increased bids. The two ads would run evenly at first until our system notices one performing better than the other at which stage the better performing ad will be served more often. 

Let us know if you have any further questions about this. 

Hannah