AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

99% Impression Share in Display Network

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I have a good problem as you can see from the title of this post. I have a few ad groups in my display network campaign utilizing image ads with managed placements that are getting 99% impression share.  I'm thinking I may be over bidding.  My bid is $2.00 for a specific ad group and avg. CPC is about $0.30. Would it be safe for me to drop the ad group bid to say $1.50 and see how that works?

I'd appreciate some thoughts.

Marlon 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 99% Impression Share in Display Network

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Drop it and keep a close eye. You´ll probably see in a few days (or even hours) if your volume of impressions get suspciously low.

But, let me ask, is 0,30$ your avg.bid? If it is, I don´t think you´ll gain much from lowering your max bid, as Google smart pricing function already gives you a price far below what you are prepared to pay.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Marlon,

Overbidding typically occurs when your bids push the ad up to a high position which is not advantageous for you CPA-wise. If it's only about Impression Share that does not hurt you. - Regarding your query you may try lowering the bid if you're curious. Don't think though that much will be happening given the huge gap between the bid and the avg CPC.

Best,

Lakatos

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Marlon,

If the high CPC is not affecting your goals in terms of CPA, etc., I would ideally let it remain at the same level. It is very difficult to obtain such a high impression share on the Display Network. Lowering your bid may unsettle it and you may not be able to hit such a high impression share again. As an experiment, you could try lowering the bid of your least important ad group only and if that does well, you can test it across the account.

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Google often gives you a bump in impression share etc. if you bid high, even if Google can't even make you pay that minimum.

If you do get a decrease in CPC, it will very possibly come with a decrease in impression share. So if you are doing well right now, I would leave it as is...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the wonderful comments everyone. I will try lowering the bid for a less important ad group and will report back. In some cases, I had my CPC set a $15.00 and average CPC was coming in at $0.23 !

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That sounds wonderful, Marlon. We're looking forword to you updating the thread with your findings...Robot Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

As I expected, dropping some of those high bids ~$15 CPC to $1.50 did not decrease the overall CPC of an ad group getting close to $0.23 avg. CPC. However, going below say $0.50, impression rate drops rapidly.

Just wanted to give you guys an update.