AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

50% drop in impressions (Display Network)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a big problem, since early september I have been getting half the impressions I normally get on an Image Ads-Display Network Campaign. So for example in rough numbers, in August we had about 1,000,000 impressions and in September only 500,000.

As I saw this drop in impressions, I increased the bids for the important adgroups (the ones with more conversions), the result was good for a couple of days but then it went down again.

During this month I have been closing some bad placements and paused some Ads which had bad performed and I have taken care to do that slowly. Plus, the budget is not consumed at all, in September we reached only 43% of our budget.

This is the most important campaing that we have and we need to get back to the right number of impressions.

I apppreciate all your suggestions.

Yamel

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 50% drop in impressions (Display Network)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Optimize & refine performance by reviewing your metrics such as CTR. If your ad is showing but bringing less clicks relative to your competition, you will get less ad displays. 

Roy

ClickMaximus.com

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ymatta
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Yamel,

"I have been closing some bad placements"

Maybe they account for the lion's share of the drop in impressions? If they do I would not be sorry for them. 

"I increased the bids for the important adgroups (the ones with more conversions), the result was good for a couple of days but then it went down again"

You did the right thing. The phenomenon you experience may well be the impact of some seasonal effects or perhaps a new competitor appeared on the market. Research the causes, it's important to know the factors that impact your performance.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello  Yamel;

Have you tries adding keywords and bidding differently on the bet performing keywords 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos:

Thank you for your thoughts, but I don't believe that those placements account for that many drop in impressions. We have done that, even before this problem and had not affect on the impressions number. About the research on the causes, I will do that Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your post, I have tried that and also saw no good result, so decided to bid higher on the whole adgroup.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Roy,

I checked the competitive metrics, and everything looks good: better ctr, better conv. rate, and also better relative ctr.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just thinking aloud here, have you made any scheduling changes to the campaigns that could affect this? 

I'd also take a look at the following:

• Hour of day performance to isolate the hours where you've seen a drop in numbers
  • Geographical performance to identify the regions that do well and create separate campaigns for them 
  • Delivery mode: I'd switch it to Accelerated to check how much more the campaigns can spend

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There is a sudden drop in my Display campaign impressions in last three days. I have checked out most of the things, Avg Position(mainly), cpc and daily budget all things are same as they were previously. What can be the reason for this drop, please suggest..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Have you checked/closed any placements? If you closed placements, then this might be the reason on the impression drop. It may also be that some placements are not supporting your ad formats anymore or the content triggering your ads was removed.