AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

404 errors and adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a client that says the adwords ads are leading to a lot of pages with 404 errors. As far as i can see, none of the ads are doing that but I want to double check. Any way of finding out if they are wrong or not - for instance through analytics?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mads E
April 2016

Re: 404 errors and adwords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Google Analytics won't be able to tell you anything unless your client is putting the Google Analytics tag on their 404 pages. Even then, it's just going to confirm the problem exists.

If clicking the ads in the account works, but clicking real ads leads to 404 pages, it usually means the advertiser's website can't handle the AdWords tracking parameters (auto-tagging and/or UTM parameters) that are added to ad URLs.

Do the troubleshooting in this article: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246?hl=en

Also, if the advertiser is using tracking templates, make sure you're testing the full template/URL combination, not just the final URL!

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

There is not any specific way to find out error pages (404)

Either Google will send you a list of errors pages when ads will be disapproved or you should check add ads manually to find out error pages. Download entire ads in a excel sheet and go one by one for verification.

Thanks
Virendra

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mads E
April 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Google Analytics won't be able to tell you anything unless your client is putting the Google Analytics tag on their 404 pages. Even then, it's just going to confirm the problem exists.

If clicking the ads in the account works, but clicking real ads leads to 404 pages, it usually means the advertiser's website can't handle the AdWords tracking parameters (auto-tagging and/or UTM parameters) that are added to ad URLs.

Do the troubleshooting in this article: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246?hl=en

Also, if the advertiser is using tracking templates, make sure you're testing the full template/URL combination, not just the final URL!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tomas sorry for late reply. I actually tried using the script but i never really made it work. A quick question about that. When i add the broken url checker as a label. What does that mean. Does it mean that the url in the ad for instace is okay, or just that the url has been checked?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Michael...That sounds very plausible! I have some tracking on contact form 7 when a lead fills out information. But it doesn't actually show the page any tracking information. While for the other clients i have, I always see the "glic" in the url. I will do the troubleshooting and hopefully come back with an answer. Thanks again.