AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

350 location solution?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Any thoughts on this problem?

We have a current client that made the following request:

Have the following branded terms on phrase match for all 350 locations (read 4x350 = 1400 keywords).

"Brand1 Location"

"Location Brand1"

"Brand2 Location"

"Location Brand2"

I don't think the client will budge on locations/keywords, and yes, I don't think a majority of them will get traffic. Major cities like Chicago, or New York will probably be fine, but a bunch of locations are small.

The last thing I want to do is have 350 ad groups with 4 keywords for each location. Any suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 350 location solution?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have never handled such a case but this is what I would do :

1) Access the keyword planner and use the "Multiply keywords" tool, put there on column A the 2 brands and on column b all the locations , click on "keywords" near "segment by" and you will see a 2 x 350 combinations list.

keyword planner multiply.png

2) Select "Edit match types / All keywords / Phrase match" and this is how you get a big list fast.

3) Next select keywords that do not have estimated traffic at all even if you select all US, those will be in the "low traffic estimates" ad group. You can also completely dismiss such keywords.

4) For the next multiplication put in the first column all the locations and in the next column the 2 brands and you will generate the other list with 2 x 350 combinations in the keyword planner.

This way I would make the list shorter and save the time to make ad groups for keywords that do no have a chance to receive traffic.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The client is requiring us to have all of those keywords. I am wondering if there are any solutions that don't involved creating 350 different ad groups.

Maybe take this approach and have a "low search volume" ad group and throw them all in? The only problem is that I would like to have relevant ad copy if possible.... I am also a little worried about lower relevance with throwing in different geo keywords in the same ad group?

Another suggestion I got was to create ad groups based off of State. Group the same state KWs in the same ad groups. That would limit the number of ad groups to 50. Better?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you get a very low QS after the first 1000 impressions for some keywords those will need to be moved to a separate ad group and have their ads changed.

For relevance, you can think of using the DKI method to insert those 2 words in the ads in any line. This will make a search that includes the keyword to bold the text of the inserted keyword.

You have a list of pros and cons here :

http://www.wordstream.com/dynamic-keyword-insertion

And an article from the community here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Dynamic-Keyword-Insertion-A-Great-Way-To-Incre...

Since they own all the brands the DKI won't create you problems with trademarks. But can they prove to you that they own the brands ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Joe, a couple of points...

Firstly, what's the big problem in creating 350 Ad Groups?  That's still a very small AdWords Account by most standards 350 Groups is a trivial number.  If provided with a list of locations, I could create these Groups in about 5 minutes using the AdWords Editor.  One of my clients has over 18000 Ad Groups each with only a few Keywords and there are plenty of Accounts out there with much much larger numbers.

Secondly, why is your client telling you what Keywords to use?   If you're employed as their AdWords manager then it is your job to choose and maintain Keywords; if your client is in an informed position to choose Keywords then they should be running the Account.  Keywords should be chosen based upon their performance, not some arbitrary list prepared with no data behind it.

To be frank, what you're describing sounds like about an hours work, with generous coffee breaks, so I'm struggling to see where your problem lies.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon, here I go. I hope this doesn't get too long winded.

Cobnut wrote: Firstly, what's the big problem in creating 350 Ad Groups?  That's still a very small AdWords Account by most standards 350 Groups is a trivial number.  ... One of my clients has over 18000 Ad Groups each with only a few Keywords and there are plenty of Accounts out there with much much larger numbers.

There isn't a "big problem" with creating that many ad groups, if it's needed. My problem is quickly complicating an account that might not need it. I haven't done a count of ad groups, but I have another client account that will literally take hours to download the data into AdWords Editor because somebody thought it would be a great idea to go crazy with ad groups and campaigns. I don't think that having 18,000 ad groups is something that I want to strive for. If I can be just as effective with 50 ad groups or less, then I will. If I can do things to avoid bloating an account, then I will.

Cobnut wrote: If provided with a list of locations, I could create these Groups in about 5 minutes using the AdWords Editor. 

I think you are missing the point if you think that copy/pasting ad groups in Editor is my main hangup. I know how to use find/replace.

Cobnut wrote: Secondly, why is your client telling you what Keywords to use?   If you're employed as their AdWords manager then it is your job to choose and maintain Keywords;

I don't pretend that I know my client's business better than they do, and I bet you don't make that assumption either. There are times that I need to reign in a client's request, but if it isn't too unreasonable and won't hurt the account, then why not? That's the beauty of AdWords, we can test stuff and see what the data says. Sometimes the client is right and sometimes they are wrong, but I'm not going to stop a test because I need to be the one that comes up with the keyword list.

Cobnut wrote: if your client is in an informed position to choose Keywords then they should be running the Account.

Delegation. A CXO might know how to run AdWords and do it very well, but that doesn't mean that it is in the company's best interest to do so. He or she has a lot better things to do, even if they have good ideas on new direction for an account (which is probably why he or she is leading the company in the first place). I specialize so they don't have to.

Cobnut wrote: Keywords should be chosen based upon their performance, not some arbitrary list prepared with no data behind it.

Brand/trademarked keywords combined with geos are not some "arbitrary list". How do you get data for new opportunities in the first place with out testing it?

Cobnut wrote: To be frank, what you're describing sounds like about an hours work, with generous coffee breaks, so I'm struggling to see where your problem lies.

I usually enjoy your comments because you seem like you want to be genuinely helpful, but come on, do you really need to rip into me and the feedback I'm trying to solicit? Bad form. These kind of responses just discourage people from engaging on the forum.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

A lot of fury lately on the forum , it is august , people should take a vacation Smiley Happy Maybe he is just pushing his services by making others feel incompetent Smiley Happy Or maybe he is just preparing to display severity as a requirement to become a certified trainer like the people at Lunametrics.

[Later edit ] This message bellow is another example of a not requested review, an aggressive and judgemental message that I received earlier :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Why-should-a-Google-Partner-be-paid-after-t...