AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

200 phone clicks and no phone calls

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

someone since yesterday is busy clicking my phone ad extension they click but don't ring.  And today they started again, so i reduced the cost limit of the ad so its in 4/5th place and still they are clicking it.

sent an email to google adwords yesterday but nothing.

This is a new client ,so he is not going to be impressed if i turn the highest impression keywords off.

Normally there is a near 100% corrolation between phone clicks and phone calls (which we track)

what to do?

any suggestions

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 200 phone clicks and no phone calls

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daud;

If those click are found to be illegal/ invalid you will be fully refunded by Google,

AdWords take very seriously invalid clicks activity. Google knows that AdWords' reputation is dependent on valid click by real prospective customers.

A special invalid clicks team at AdWords operations is responsible to investigate "questionable" clicks. Contact them on the following link

-Moshe;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

had no response from google,

had to turn the camaign to bare minimum after running it at a major loss on friday and saturday.

whoever was trying to push us out of that space succeeded,

which is very worrying.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Have you contacted Google using the link I provided - which is special for complaints about invalid clicks?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, found the same page before i came on to the community.so emailed before but, did it again just now

But i also ran the invalid click data, and Google had automatically filtered out 33% of the clicks. But even with this filtering

for this campaign and adgroup we actually only received 50calls for every 100 clicks

and yet for every other campaign and ad group 100 phone ad extension clicks results in 100 phone calls give or take a few

and it was the same with this campaign and ad group up until friday

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Are these mobile click to call clicks? If so, there are some important distintinctions to make between an "initiated" and a "dialed" click to call. Given your past click and call comparison numbers, that alone wouldn't seem to be the problem, but is it possible, that somehow the call options got changed from click and call, to click to call only? With call only, many more calls may be initiated, but less of those may be intentional click to calls, a user may have simply been trying to click through to the website, and instead their phone initiated a call.

Regardless of the complexities of call extensions, what to do right now is the issue at hand...

What sort of data does the dimensions tab provide? Can you tell by caller area code (if google voice enabled call extensions), or geographic data where these invalid clicks/calls are coming from? Rather than pause, or reduce the bids for the entire campaign, can you isolate the problem area, and exclude that location for the time being? If the bad guys can't leverage you out of the space because you don't target their location, that may be at least a temporary solution. In the long run, "black hat" practices will not be tolerated. Unfortunately those practices are so prevalent, it may take some time for Google to be able to sort it out.

http://www.thomascreekconcepts.com/understanding-adwords-call-extensions/

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi tom thanks for the detailed response.

Our campaigns are click to call only for high end mobile ad impressions.

and we can't filter out by locations as they are localised services

and it wouldnt be because they clicked to go through to the website as all our campaigns are similar just in different areas.

and so you would expect the same behaviour.

and because they dont actually click the website have no ip data.

but it seems to be ok today sunday

will speak to google when their phones are on tomorrow

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

A word of caution...Google customer service, undoubtedly, deals with an absolutely inconcieveable amount of calls per day, regarding concerns associated with the AdWords program alone. Arm yourself with all the knowledge at your disposal, including, a polite disposition. This click to call, and call extensions stuff is very complicated, and unless something has changed drastically in the last few weeks, odds are, even the google reps don't have all the answers. Smiley Happy Try not to be too hard on them, they're just trying to do their job after all. Smiley Happy

Click-to-call only.

http://www.thomascreekconcepts.com/google-adwords-click-to-call-only-feature/

Tom

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Daud,

In addition to above helpful suggestion, I want to inform you that some times a person might click on the call extension on a mobile device and after clicking on the call extension the person needs to press the call button to give you a call. So sometimes what happens is that if a person clicks on call extension and does not give you a call then the only click for the call extension is recorded and it would not be recorded in call metrics under dimension tab.

Hope this helps,

Dinesh
My Blog

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi daud,

In addition to great responses you already had above, I would like to add that Call Extensions is a complicated Ad Extension till now through which the hard core data which is accessible sometimes makes sense and sometimes doesn't.

As Dinesh mentioned above, when a user clicks on Click-to-Call number, there is an intermediate screen, which again asks the user whether call should be connected or not. So if the user here gives his consent, only then call is made to the required number mentioned in your ad. Hence, there might be discrepancies in actual phone calls you received and Click-to-call data.

My honest opinion would be actually see how Google will react to your particular case and whether it looks to be Click Fraud activity as mentioned above or not. Trust me if it is, your account will get the credit back for that as per the policies.

Let us know what feedback you get after contacting Adwords support.

Thanks!

Pankaj