AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

2 different adgroups using the same keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I want to be able to show 2 different adverts based on the same keywords, for different age groups. I know I can do this from the same campaign if I have the adverts in different adgroups, what I really want to know is if both adverts can show at the same time from 1 campaign (or indeed, the same client), I don't want to lose clicks from the most popular age group (which actually is quite generic and can apply to both) to increase them from the less popular age group, but the less popular age group niched keywords aren't getting enough search volume.

Hope that makes sense! Thanks, Sarah

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 2 different adgroups using the same keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah,

Only one keyword can trigger an ad per search term from a campaign. You will not be able to trigger two ads from the same campaign for the same search query.

Find how similar keywords match to search terms below.

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

hope this helps,

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I believe this is a very risky business and it will call under double serving policy, and for violation you might get your account suspended.

Hope this helps

Edit: This is wrong please check response below from me

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It will fall under 'double serving policy' if you try to run each ad group from different (duplicate) campaigns for the same client. 

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am terribly sorry my 1st answer was absolutely wrong.

This will not fall under double serving policy as the keywords are in the same account. 

Here are things you should consider 

• Age/ Gender targeting is only possible on GDN and not on search
  • theoretically yes you can do this no doubt but i am not entirely sure how accurate GDN is on age targeting.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I think it was very important Niks mentioned about 'double serving policy' because of the 'intent' in the question.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Just to set the terms/ wording  correctly:

The double serving refers to two or more accounts owned by the same business targeting the same (or with the same content) domain,

Those keywords, in different campaigns or ad-groups will COMPETE;

I would not recommend that;

Read more about what would happen if similar keywords can trigger an ad;

How similar keywords match to search terms

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the support and advice, as I don't want to fall foul of any policies!

I'll give a bit more thought to some alternative plans I think

Sarah

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah,

This is perfectly fine. Your intent is not to show more than one ad for the client on a single SERP. It is not a policy violation.

The problem you will face is AdRank for the 2 groups. If the keyword in the "generic" group has a higher AdRank than that same keyword in the "age targeted" group, the generic group keyword will always win. If the QS is the same for the keyword in both AdGroups, then you would need to bid higher for the age targeted ad to show. And that traffic seems to have been shown to be of lesser value in terms of potential conversions. That might not work out so well for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete, that has really clarified things for me. Really appreciate it.
Sarah