AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

11.1.3 Editor csv imports slow compared to 10.x.x

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I am having a problem with the forced upgrade to the latest version of the Google AdWords Editor (11.1.3).

It appears that the bulk-import feature operates at an exceptionally slow speed compared to the previous version (10.x).  Unfortunately, as of today we are forced to only use the newer version and we are having major problems.

Each month, on the first, my colleagues and I update between one and fifteen campaigns with 17,000 Ad Groups each for up to 100 clients.  Previously we could get that done via the editor within a business day, but now we struggle to even complete a single client in a day.  The import file function as well as the posting of that file has been slowed down exponentially.  It has slowed down to such a pace that our machines seem to be struggling with the resources involved.

Previously, one campaign with 17,000 ad groups may take 60 seconds or less to import, now it takes almost five minutes, and the posting is even worse.

The only change we did on our end was we changed the file name from a .txt (the old editor would support this extension) to a .csv.

Any suggestions on how to increase this speed? or is this a known issue that will hopefully be fixed in the near future?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert D
September 2015

Re: 11.1.3 Editor csv imports slow compared to 10.x.x

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
RateExceededError problem should have been resolved, as of Saturday 7/4.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Robert,
I've seen reports on this lately but for Macs only.
Are you using a Mac or a Windows PC?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are using Windows 8.1

In addition to the slow speed, we are also receiving errors on uploading now that we never had before (starting 7/1).

Such as RateExceededError. This error is really bad, because it is blocking our post completely. It seems to be by account as some of our clients' updates work just fine, and others hit a brick wall.  This error is actually much more important than the speed.  We have time, but we have no other way to upload our bulk changes and this error is a hard stop.

I read that this has to do with being a Basic API user. But we are not using the API directly we are using the editor as an inbetween. I wonder if we upgrade our API account to Standard (or higher?) if we can avoid these errors from within the editor, or is this a new restriction of the editor?

Should I be asking this on the Adwords Dev forum?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Robert,
Yes, I think you'll have to ask over there. I participate over there occasionally (and on the G+ community). I thought this was the same local processing issue that some Mac users were having but now I see, it's clearly not.

I'm not sure how you're using editor with the API either. To be honest, I didn't think it was even possible. Sorry I can't help any more.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
RateExceededError is being investigated. Some problem sever-side, I don't know any details yet.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
There are apparently 2 issues here. Time to import and time to post. The former is purely local and is something we'd like to analyze. Can you provide account details and attach an import file at https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/contact/awe_gen?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, glad to know Google is looking into it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the reply, I have submitted a ticket (under this email) 1:06pm EST 7/6/2015. Please call me if you need any more information.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert D
September 2015

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
RateExceededError problem should have been resolved, as of Saturday 7/4.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, we will find out on 8/1 Smiley Happy