AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

10/10 Quality Score, high bid strategy... Only 4th Spot!?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all

I'm a bit confused and need some help.

I have been using AdWords for around 2 months now with some success but I have a question that the Google team tried explaining but I still don't get!

Facts:

I have a keyword with 10/10 quality score.

I have flexibile top page bid strategy (limited to £4.50 per click)

Estimated top page bid for this keyword is £1.25 and google are matching my max CPC to same as est Top Bid

Daily budget is £100, which I am not anywhere near.

The problem...

When I do AdPreview & Diagnostics, for this keyword I am only in 4th position!

I have quite a few keywords with similar or worse results.  I would have expected to be in at least Top3!??

What's going on!? my main focus is to be Top 3 and I would have thought that was a winning formula!?

Any help is much apprecited! Smiley Happy

thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 10/10 Quality Score, high bid strategy... Only 4th Spot!?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Just a quick couple of questions.

What is the average position for the specific keyword when you look in the AdWords reports?
Also, what is the current average CPC for that keyword?
What is the match type for the keyword?

If you do not wish to share publicly what the keywords is feel free to message me privately and I will have a look into what may be going on.
Ryan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ryan

Thanks for getting back.

The average position is saying 2.1
Average CPC is £0 as it hasn't been clicked yet (14 impressions) This is what made me start looking at it; I have run diagnostics a few times and it hasn't been above position 4.
The match type is Exact.

I can message you the keywords if needed?

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
No worries, Steve.

Although it's a tiny amount of data it does seem like it's right up there.

If you could send me the keyword I will have a more detailed look.
Ryan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok will do.

How do I send you a private message!? I can't find where to do it.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello guys;

This is a nice question;

Please share  all info here, online (and not offline), so  all  community members could contribute to the discussion; and  users searching for similar issues, in the future, would find this discussion valuable.( Do not post any personal info, though)

As for the question: So, what you are saying is that the ad-preview tool is showing 4th position, while the actual data shows 2.1?

You need to remember that an average is a misleading statistical parameter. What is the average of 4 and 1? . So, if you have an average of 2.2  - certainly could be instances of position 4.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe

We haven't taken it any further offline.

My question isn't so much in relation to the average position.

My questions is, based on the formula I have, why would my add be showing in 4th position. I would have thought it would be at least 3 or above based on the factors.

Thanks
Steve

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Well... If you have a QS of 10 and still can't win 3 higher positions it's most likely competition, and you have no choice but to raise the bid;
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’