AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

10/10 Quality Score and bid higher than FPB yet ads not showing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been using adwords for some years now and have learnt to know what to expect from my adwords re quality score and bid pricing. In the last few months, however, things seem to have changed. I have an idea that Adwords have introduced a reserve price bid without really telling anyone that I can see. I don't know for sure, but my experiences over the last few months indicate something like this has been put in place. I have a keyword with QS 10/10. I chose a bid price double estimated FPB. The ad contains the keyowrd in title and body. The landing page contains the keywords. My ads used to show somewhere on first page along with half dozen competitors. NOW, my ads aren't showing on any page! BUT even more interesting, most of the time neither are the competitor ads. I used to have a blanket bid of 95c. After finding the est FPB column and realising that for this keyword est bid was 10c, I dropped bid for that keyword to 20c. No more ads. I checked Ad Preview which says the ads are not running because the keyword has a low Ad Ranking. Ad ranking is determined by QS and bid price. So, knowing my QS is 10/10, I can only assume that even though the bid is double est FPB, it is considered too low to be shown AT ALL! This is a reserve bid price by any other name. It must have been introduced recently because it seems to have affected my competitors too. My reasoning for a bid auction for keyword/ad placement, is that if the QS is good enough for an ad to show, then the bid price determines WHERE it will show, not IF it will show. If my bid price is the lowest, then I expect it at the bottom of page 5. If it is higher than est FPB price, then I expect it on page 1 or page 2. What I don't expect is that my ad does not appear at all because the bid price is too low. Please Google Adword people, come clean on this new policy. I have pestered customer support about this but they don't know anything about it and just trot out the same old lines about quality score. I can't get higher than 10/10, so bid price is the issue, and a reserve, or minimum accepted-by-google bid price (unstated anywhere) is the culprit. If you think you've seen a change in how adwords are delivered, write in and see if we can't get some action on this.

Re: 10/10 Quality Score and bid higher than FPB yet ads not showing

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello New user,

Recently I have participated in a debate on a similar topic that you are brining up here, and finaly a google staff member steped in to provide an explanation about "bid price too low" when that person was the only competitor in a niche situation , here is the answer

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Reducing-AVG-CPC-with-QS-10/m-p/150346/highl...

Re: 10/10 Quality Score and bid higher than FPB yet ads not showing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey. Thanks for putting me on to this other thread so quickly. It's exaclty what I was looking for. Google are getting greedy and setting minimum acceptable bids without decalring this practice. I'm not happy with this concept that if I am the only one bidding for a keyword, and I set my bid by looking at Google's estimated first page bid price and doubling my bid, that Google can come back and say "don't pay any attention to the est FPB. It means nothing. And by the way, we want a lot higher bid price or your ad won't show at all". This is wrong and I would dare to go so far as to say it is price fixing. Google Adwords gives the impression we are bidding in a genuine auction for keywords when in fact they have set limts behind the scenes. Soory about my absent name. I'm a first time user and haven't got to making a profile yet.