AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

1 Company | 2 Locations | Same Product | Different Prices

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have two locations that are 15 miles apart from each other.

I am using google adwords for the same product for both locations however they have different prices, 

So, I was thinking of creating two separate campaigns, one for each location.  Each location campaign would have a single adword group with the same keywords and each campaign would anchored in the respective location and a 15 mile radius.

Two issues that I have with this.

1.  By having the same keywords, in the separate accounts, I am competing against myself for clicks ?

2.  Would it be possible for a person in the overlap area to actually get both ads ?  Therefore, I cannot put price because I do not know which ad the customer might get.

Is there a better way to manage this, again here is the criteria.

Two locations, same company, 15 miles apart.

Same product

Different prices

Same Website / Unique Landing pages

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 1 Company | 2 Locations | Same Product | Different Prices

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Short answer is that your competing with yourself in the overlap.  

You did not mention whether you have a separate website / location.

First you said "in two separate campaigns", then you said "two different accounts".

Separate campaigns are ok, google will serve the ad with higher ad rank in the geographically overlapping location.

Separate Account - I beleive the overlap is may be a violation of Google Terms in conditions -  Double Serving.  My experience is that Google is not very heavy handed with this policy.  And also, if you have one website, there is a chance that google will catch the duplicate destination urls in the ad auction and prevent double serving.  

REASONING BEHIND DOUBLE SERVING:  Imagine if you are a well-heeled invester wanting to dominate a market, technically you could set up a 6-8 AW accounts, and stuff the search results with YOUR Ads and lock out competition 

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

Two accounts are a violation of the double serving;

However; since geo-targeting is not perfect, and the locations are close, there might be cases where one ad will be shown instead of the one you intended.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Doug,

Clarification.  I will be setting up two Campaigns in the same account like this:

Campaign1:  LocationA (15 mile radius), ProductA, Price $69 per month, Landing Page: mywebsite/locationA

Campaign2:  LocationB (15 mile radius), ProductA, Price $99 per month, Landing Page: mywebsite/locationB

Same set of keywords for both campaigns.

Few issues with this, that I reckon I will have to live with:

Issue 1:  The two campaigns will be competing against each other for bidding ?

Issue 2: The people in the overlap may see both ads, with the different prices ?

I also thought about one campaign, do not include price in the ad, and go to a common landing page that shows the two locations and respecitve prices.  Thoughts ?

Any thoughts of other approachs would be welcome.

Thanks

Roy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Roy,

Issue 1:  The two campaigns will be competing against each other for bidding ?

Not really. When a search query matches a keyword to potentially trigger your ad, a mini-auction within the account is held. The keyword with the higher AdRank will always show when two AdGroups or Campaigns use the same keyword. That keyword then enters the general auction.

Issue 2: The people in the overlap may see both ads, with the different prices ?

That won't happen. Only one ad per account and only one ad per domain will show for any given SERP.

The bigger issue you face here is that geo-targeting a 15 mile radius is not all that accurate unless the user is using a smart phone with GPS active.

It seems if you create a single landing page with prices for both locations, the location with the lower prices will get most of the orders. Perhaps a common landing page showing the two locations? I don't know.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords