2.2K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

true view vs 100% played - The difference

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why do the KPI view rate (%) and the video played to 100% differ? I find it strange that played total 100% higher than the view rate%

Can someone help me understand? 

/S

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sabina G
June 2016

Re: true view vs 100% played - The difference

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hi
it's simple

1000 impressions (the ad appeared in front of the user)
100 of them decided not to skip (10% View Rate)
all of them watched the ad till the very end - 100% in general saw the end of the video

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
okej so let's say that we had a view rate=10%
and video played - 100% = 10 %

Our video played - 100% (KPI) would than be = 10? because we divide it with the those people who not skipped the ad?

/S

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sabina,

The two metrics are not really related.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375464?hl=en

First, it's important to understand what a view is - I look at views as the "clicks" for video campaigns, this is what we pay for.  Views encompass when a viewer watches 30 seconds of your video (or the duration if it's shorter than 30 seconds) or engages with your video, whichever comes first. Video interactions include clicks on the call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards, and companion banners. Unlike cost-per-impression pricing, you won't need to pay every time your ad is shown. So, it's a bit more than they didn't skip.  Someone could watch 15 seconds of a 30 second video ad, not skip but not continue watching and still not be counted as a view. At the same time, someone could watch 10 seconds of a 60 second video and click on a CTA overlay - this is a view but will not even register in the 25% quarterlies.  

Video quarterlies are just that, what percentage of the video plays lasted 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the entire video. 

So, as much as it may seem like they should match up, when you start involving interactions with the video, it's hard to match up the quarterlies to view rates.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375431?hl=en

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

Your answers still don't explain the situation where the video played to 100% is higher than the view rate, otherwise it's a really simple math.

Let's say, I have a 15 second video. Data from the report below:

328,510 impressions

Video played to 100%: 21.62%

View rate: 21.50%

Since it's a 15-second video, in theory every full play should count as a view. So what about that missing 0.12%, that haven't been included view rate?

I think that explanation may be invalid views: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-for-Video/Are-there-checks-for-Invalid-Youtube-vie...

That's the only logical reason for discrepancy for short videos in my opinion, thought I'll share it.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

For TrueView, I suggest measuring by  view through rate instead of view rate. 

-VTR = Complete views (user did not skip) / Impressions (ad rendered)

-View Rate = Number of times the first frame is rendered / Number of times the ad won an auction

Lastly, try pulling an audience retention report and watch time report in YT analytics. 

-Julia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

where to found play rate ??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is my related question:

I have a video with 8.6 million impressions and a video played to 100% value of 9.23%. This would lead me to believe that I have (8.6 mill * 9.23%) 794K completed video views. The weird thing is that AdWords is only showing 233K videos views. How is it possible that I have more completed views than views? It makes no sense. The video is 1:43 long BTW. 

Help me please. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it was solved in 2016.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.