2.1K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

top content - ???

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The other day my video ads where upgraded to the new True-view interface.

I was doing EXACT placement targeting combined with demographic targeting.  I had around 1.5K exact videos and exact channels I was bidding on.  No search, no topics, no keywords.  ONLY exact placement combined with demographics.

Yesterday:  With the new change it looks like Adwords decided to just target my video ad where ever they wanted.  I'm now showing on 100% unrelated targets.  It's like Adwords just through out all my targeting options and decided to show my video to everyone on youtube.

Regardless to say my campaign now is doing EXTREMELY bad because I'm no longer just showing on the targets I selected.

3 Issues

1.  I can no longer see the exact placements that I am bidding on.  With the old interfaced I could see these exact placements and edit them.  Now I can't see them

2. I'm being shown on 100% unrelated targets.  This leads to poor conversions and impossible to actually run a successful campaign.  All video campaigns are now paused.

3. Under a campaign.  Only after selecting an Adgroup.  Then going to setting Tab.  I see a new tab called "Top Content".  I have found ZERO documentation in Adwords on this new magical tab.  I see I can bid adjust inside this tab.  I also see I was charged $50 dollars yesterday for whatever this TOP CONTENT thing is.  The option to bid adjust is only to increase bids and not decrease them.  I think this feature whatever it is may be causing me to show on unrelated targets.

I did a Chat today already with Adwords Support and I'm supposed to hear back in the next 48 hours or so.  My case number is 3-0020000008372  .

I'm posting here because this is a MAJOR issue for all video advertisers and something Adwords needs to address right away.  Hopefully I will hear back as Adwords does generally do a great job at calling me back. 

I'll post followups as I get them.  Feel free an chime in with any input you may have.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: top content - ???

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jacob E;

I agree.  AdWords    unified  video ads  (aka video ads upgrade)  should have had more publicity and exposure  among advertisers.

This help article should help

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3481092?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the shared link but I actually already read all that. It does nothing to address what "Top Content" is and it does not address why my video ad is being shown to un-related targets as well as why I can no longer view and see my exact placements.

I'm still digging around looking for information while I wait a few days for a Adwords expert to get back to me. Adwords support said to pause my video campaigns in the mean time while they try to see why I'm having this issue. I spoke with a supervisor at Adwords support and he could not explain why I'm having these issues or speak to the new features inside Unified Adwords such as "Top Content" or why I no longer see my exact placements.

At the heart of this is a lack of training material open to the general public and lack of internal training on Adwords support end amongst their internal staff.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I think that the change in targeting is due to  targeting combinations you had in the previous setting, as listed in the table in the article. During the upgrade something "messed-up"

Did you go through the table and identify which campaign structure you had prior to the upgrade?

As for top content - I'll have to check with my programmer, if he is aware of this new tab.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
The upgrade path would be

"Your campaign contains a single-ad format targeting group for TrueView in-stream ads."

This is easy to tell because I have only 1 adgroup created from the migration.

The targeting method I had before still looks like it is in place. I simply exluded specific age ranges and a gender, then targeted exact urls. Nothing that I have not done before. This is similar to how you would normally target an adgroup on the Display side of things.

As such my upgrade path was a 1 to 1 upgrade.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jacob,

The same thing has happened to my campaigns where targeting exact video placements. Did Google ever get back to you on a resolution?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
They did get back to me yesterday. Said it's a technical issue and they are working on the fix. I suggest pausing the campaign and giving them a call to create a ticket.

No word on when the technical issue will be resolved but they did tell me they will credit me for the wasted ad spend.

All in all I'm very pleased with how Adwords has handled the situation so far. They actually called me instead of just sending an e-mail which I thought was awesome. I'm supposed to hear back when the issue is resolved and I will report it here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yep. I have been in contact with a support member however they have been unable to provide an ETA on the fix.

Advertisers are starting to get very anxious as there doesn't look to be an official message from Google on what the issue is and when it is to be fixed.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks Oliver.

Personally I'm not worried about it all that much. It's what happens when you switch over to something new to test out. Would be nice to be able to revert back.

So far Google seems to be keeping me in the loop so I'm happy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Jacob,

I've stumbled upon this thread after I've experienced exact same problems in my video campaigns and noticed the "Top content" tab as well. I've had a nice chat with a girl from Google Support and I've decided to refresh this thread with her answers to help fellow marketers.

She suggested that the problem is with Networks settings. Google treats YT and GDN as separate networks and if you mark them both but target only YT or GDN placements then Google shows your ads on the other network like there were no placements targeted at all, ie. everywhere.
It also means that you cannot target only GDN placements - otherwise your ads will show on all irrelevant placements on YouTube. Perhaps adding just one placement from the other network will help, I'm going to test this idea.

Did you get the same answer?

And the Top content tab - you can set the bid adjustment for the best videos from YouTube. Best meaning ranked high by Google in categories like number of views, engagements, comments etc. I guess they've assumed that you don't want to decrease your traffic in such placements, hence only option to increase it.