3.4K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

"in-stream ad" or "in-display ad"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys, I recently created new YouTube channel and I would like to advertise my videos using AdWords for videos. What do you think the best option to choose "in-stream ad" or "in-display ad" for my advertisement?
My aim is to get as much views as possible for my videos.
Thanks. 

Re: "in-stream ad" or "in-display ad"

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Zaid,
More often than not, YouTube In-Stream Ads will give you more efficient Cost-per-Views.  In-Stream will also usually give you a higher amount of overall Impressions.

In-Display Ads will typically give you more views of your YouTube videos.

The main difference is where they run - In-Stream Ads will run as pre-roll (that is, before other videos) on other YouTube videos.  In-Display will be serve next to content on YouTube and through the Google Display Network.

Also, it should be noted that what format gives you the most amount of Impressions/Views will also depend on your targeting and how you choose to serve ads to your potential customers.

If getting traffic to your YouTube channel is your main goal, I'd recommend In-Display.  Finally, you could set up separate Campaigns with separate targeting methods to reach a broader audience and see what targeting method performs best for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your detailed information.

I created two adv. groups, one in-stream and one in-display. My YouTube channel is about pets so I set the target audiences to pet lovers for both groups.
The in-stream one got about 1000 impressions with about 500 views for $7 and $0.02 max bid, while for the in-display I got more than 3000 impressions with about 150 views for the same video for $2 and $0.02 max bid.
I am not sure why the in-display got so many impressions with few views compared to the in-stream one.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zaid Nazar K
February 2016

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Tips for Optimizing Video Campaigns

Hi Zaid,

The different types of Ads will have different auction dynamics - the same bid for In-Stream will not perform the same as the same bid for In-Display.  I'm not saying that you necessarily need to bid more for one over the other, that will explain why you see different performance between the two different types of Ads.

In-Stream can sometimes lead to more views because the Ads appear when someone is already watching a video, and the Ads are before the video that the user selected.  In-Display requires the user to actually select to watch a different Ad.  In-Stream is more integrated and seamless into what they're already doing.

That being said, look for ways to make your thumbnails and your Ads look engaging and compelling so users are more likely to click through to them and watch your Ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for all the information Brian and I appreciate your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our Channel needs help with in-stream ads. Is there a way to set up an in-stream video ad that links to itself, instead of a website? We woudl like people to view our ad, click it, and be taken to our youtube video.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, you can do that and drive traffic to your video to increase the views. You can either run in-stream ads, so your video is a video ads which can be skipped after 5 seconds or you can run a search ad where your video ad appears at the top of the search page on YouTube when someone searches.

I run video campaigns for my own business as well as for our clients. Video marketing is where the party is happening right now and YouTube has a ton of traffic which can be leveraged.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Re:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a bunch. I will try again, the views are great, but Im also looking
for engagement and subscribers, as I have affiliate links in my
descriptions. One ad finallg got approved, I was able to use the video as
its final Url destination

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Richard,

I only run direct response video ads and not for branding or views, which means I'm driving traffic to my website and generating leads or sales. I get leads from my video ads and there is always more traffic!!!

However, a great way to build your remarketing list is with a video view. You can remarket to anyone who watched your video, with banner ads on GDN. The cost-per-pixel is a fraction of the cost, compared to a click to a website from the Google Search ad.

Re:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I have to learn about banner ads, pixels, and finally create a landing
page with builder all. I have a website earsparelaxation.com set up, but Im
also working on another project which involves me reviewing online courses.
Thanks for your input, as I still have a lot to learn.