Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

how to advertise correctly for youtube

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

so I have been using adwords for about three months now. and have spent a lot in advertising in the past few months. I have a few concerns that I am hoping someone can help with. I only use adwords for video campaigns for my youtube videos, one of the issues I have is that when you try to add "interests" or "topics" for your video the actual category that one of my videos should show up, is not an option. like a "how to /style" I wish they would match these categories to youtube categories because even if I choose "beauty" in adwords, i still find that my videos are mostly being placed in kids cartoon show videos or music videos on vevo? which doesnt make any sense to me. I have also tried to add placements for certain websites and added keywords that I know people are searching for when it comes to makeup tutorials, but still the placements of my videos are completely off. does anyone have any idea how I can improve this to make sure my videos are only being advertised in the beauty community only? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how to advertise correctly for youtube

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

I'd suggest adding keywords (to be very specific) so that people searching something like 'how to do eye shadow' can find your ad. Also, you can try adding the closest available topic (like Beauty & Fitness > Face & Body Care>
Make-Up & Cosmetics) to show your ads when videos related to Makeup-cosmetics are being watched. You can add the same category under interests so that you ads are watched by users interested in make up and cosmetics.

Remember to add these targeting criteria under three different targeting groups so your ad can show if any one of these criteria match. If you have all the targeting in a single group, you're narrowing your targeting criteria.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

In addition to what Sumanth has said, you can use negative targets such as negative placements, keywords, interests and demographics to exclude specific videos or channels and to prevent showing your ads to irrelevant customers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much! I will try this. can I then add a few interests to one target group? or each interest should have its own target group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have looked into this as well but never tried it because I wasn't sure what I would enter as a negative target and was overwhelmed! lol thank yoU!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is better to have different adgroup for each interest....