1.8K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

how do i add external link to video?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I already read about merch links.  I don't want to link to an approved retailer.  I want to link to my product page if/when the user clicks my video ad.  How do I set this up?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how do i add external link to video?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

You can use True View InStream ads to set up the product page, as the destination URL of your Video ad. When a user clicks the video ad, AdWords would direct him to that page. More info on this here.

If you'd like to add links to a normal YouTube video, you can use video annotations. More info on this here.

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Adding to Sumanth's answer, you can create a Call-to-Action overlay to share more information about the content of your video, so when users click on the overlay, they are directed to your product page. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/150471?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Um, OK. That's helpful, but there is nothing in the campaign manager that shows anything like this. I'm using this: adwords.google.com/video. I have a campaign going, a video listed and currently being served. I can preview the different types, including in-stream, but there is nothing I can see that talks about setting URLs of any kind whatsoever. The link you gave me is exactly what I need to do, but the video ad manager site doesn't provide a way to do it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh, and the problem with annotations is that they only allow links to other videos, playlists and other internal YT stuff. They do NOT allow annotations to external pages. That's what I looked at first.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Data Mining R
September 2015

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi there,

If you're logged into AdWords, navigate to Video campaigns (bottom left corner of the campaigns page), select the campaign on the left margin and then to the Ads tab. Once you edit the ad (small pencil icon), you'll see the screen shown in the screen grab below. You can input your website URL there.

Hope that helps!

- Sumanth

instream.png

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sumanth,

Your screenshot doesn't appear for some reason, but I managed to find the pencil after a lot of scrutiny of the ads screen. The problem is the genius who designed the interface made the pencil invisible unless you hover over just the right place. It is literally not there unless you know where to hover and then it appears. Why somebody would make the edit button invisible is beyond me.

Thank you for your help!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Well, I understand it might be difficult initially to locate the icon. But for any kind of ad (text, image, video) you'll find it to the top right corner of the section that holds the ad. I'm sure Google would be taking care of that, as there are a number of enhancements to the interface.

Glad I could help Smiley Happy

Good luck
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

DMR,

Something that Sumanth neglected to mention: You need to be extremely careful in your usage of the "call to action" feature.

It's important that this call to action does NOT lead to a website outside of the Google ecosystem -- I would think that another YouTube channel or a Google+ page would be safe.

You must not, under any circumstances, use the 'call to action' feature to drive traffic to your website. If you do, you are risking instant termination of your YouTube account.

Please carefully read this YouTube policy page dealing with "deceptive practices" and "spam":

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801973?hl=en

Note the text: "If the main purpose of your content is to drive people off of YouTube and onto another site, it will likely violate our spam policies."

An exception to my recommendation might be if you are using a 'disposable' YouTube channel, which you do not mind being terminated.

If however you are using a YouTube channel which is important to you, I urge you to not attempt to drive any traffic from this channel to any external website.  Although the structure of Adword's tools might suggest this is an acceptable usage, it's absolutely in violation YouTube policy and at any time a YouTube employee could review and terminate your account.

In the case of accounts flagged for this "deceptive practices and scams" behavior, typically the YouTube account is instantly terminated, without any warning. So you don't get a second chance, unfortunately.

Just don't do it, even if an Adwords representative tells you it's OK. YouTube and Adwords are totally separate ecosystems, and their policies are quite far out of alignment, unfortunately.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Hi Schroder,

I disagree on your view about CTAs. Call to action overlay's are meant to drive traffic to any page. It could be a channel page or an external page like the advertiser's website. It is not a policy requirement that it must remain within the Google's ecosystem. Please follow this article that details CTAs.

Violations you're referring to are applicable to standard YouTube videos (not Video Campaigns) with an objective to drive traffic, without adding any value to the video content.

Thanks,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar