Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Youtube Search Keyword Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey guys,

I'd really appreciate if someone could answer the following.

I'd like to track which keyword through Youtube PPC triggered a sale. I am unable to add their conversion pixel since I don't own the website. What is the keyword token that needs to be used for it to work. I have both Voluum and Clickmagick trackers so I could use either. The company I would send traffic and sales touses CAKE tracking. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Antonio
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antonio G
October 2015

Re: Youtube Search Keyword Tracking

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Antonio,
Yeah, I figured you may run into it. If you have the time, you can pass the keyword manually as a custom parameter. This will only work though if you have one keyword per ad/adgroup though. It's a massive pain but there's excel formulas to help with it and AdWords Editor can help with it too.

The problem is that YouTube isn't classed as a search network (even a YT search only campaign) so it becomes impossible to get the level of detail we can get in normal search. I'm hoping this changes in the coming years though.

The way we get around this is by working with the client or publisher to get Google Tag Manager added to their site, sell it as a universal benefit, train them up and then we get the tracking that we need. If your client is using the platforms that you mentioned above, there's an instant selling point. Consolidation.

Sorry there's nothing better I can give you right now.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Antonio,

I am not exactly sure what you mean here. Are you talking about AdWords for Video campaign? You could add the keywords, placements, demographics, remarketing lists etc...to gauge the performance.

Video.png

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Thanks for your response but I am not asking how to add keywords. I am asking how to track sales in order to know which keyword triggered a sale on the back end without being able to add the Adwords tracking pixel.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Antonio,

Could you provide further details on how exactly do you generate sales? Since you've said that you don't own a website, is the sale for another person/site and you use videos to send them traffic?

If you can provide detailed information, we might be able to understand how you can track your sales.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Antonio
You're going to be extremely limited if you can't add conversion tracking on your or your clients site.

The best way to do this in your situation is to use valuetrack parameters https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

You can view these details in Google Analytics or in your third-party software.

Be aware though that if Google cannot provide the information for the click, it will be passed blank. I'm not sure if this even works on YouTube as its not technically a search campaign. For search campaigns, the {keyword} parameter will tell you the specific keyword that triggered your ad for search campaigns. For display campaigns, the best-matching keyword will be reported, since targeting on the Display Network is done at the ad group level.

Hope that helps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@Dave_Davis

I think you nailed it. I tried using the valuetrack parameters in this case {keyword} but it is passing it as blank. Really weird because when I use their conversion pixel on my own site it is able to track conversions by keyword. But when you use a tracking token {keyword} it doesn't work.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antonio G
October 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Antonio,
Yeah, I figured you may run into it. If you have the time, you can pass the keyword manually as a custom parameter. This will only work though if you have one keyword per ad/adgroup though. It's a massive pain but there's excel formulas to help with it and AdWords Editor can help with it too.

The problem is that YouTube isn't classed as a search network (even a YT search only campaign) so it becomes impossible to get the level of detail we can get in normal search. I'm hoping this changes in the coming years though.

The way we get around this is by working with the client or publisher to get Google Tag Manager added to their site, sell it as a universal benefit, train them up and then we get the tracking that we need. If your client is using the platforms that you mentioned above, there's an instant selling point. Consolidation.

Sorry there's nothing better I can give you right now.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@Dave_Davis Thank you!