4.1K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Why arent my ads appearing on videos/channels I targeted

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

About two days ago I started an ad campaign to promote one of my videos on YouTube. I was intrigued by the feature that I could target specific channels and videos. I created an ad group and several ads targeted at about 15-20 popular related channels as well as soon popular videos. It has been over 48 hours that this ad group has been approved and running, however I've received 1 impression on all of these ads. Keep in mind these are popular channels as well as videos that I've targeted so I figured the reports hadn't been updated yet. I check several of the channels and videos I've targeted and that none of them are running are running my ads. My CPV is also significantly higher than the average for these targeted keywords, channels and videos. Any insight is very appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Riley H
January 2017

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Riley H

Thanks, this extra info is helpful.

I think you made the right call on turning off in-stream. Those generally work best with 15-30 second videos, and I've found that ones closer to the 15 second side get a considerably better reach.  

So now lets go over each ad group by setting.

1) This is essentially an in-display for those specific videos, and videos belonging to the channels you have selected. A couple of things understand here. Just because a specific video has a lot of views, doesn't mean that it's still acquiring a significant amount of views each day. In other words, it could have already hit it's peak popularity.  I'm not saying don't target it, but it's something you should be aware of.

Same goes for the channel. It's relative to how many subscribers they have, how often they publish a new video. The logic above applies to a channel as well. Their day to day views can vary greatly.  Are you able to give me a range on how many subscribers these channels have?

Another thing to consider is competition. While you might have a healthy bid, you could be in competition with another advertiser who has done a reserve buy that includes that channel. This means that they have made a large bulk payment up front, and are expecting a specific amount of views in a certain amount of time. Another possibility is the Adsense side of things for the publisher. I'm not entirely certain if this works for YouTube, but I know that website publishers can choose to approve/deny any direct targeting. So essentially your ads could be in an approval queue. Again, I'm not certain about this, but if website publishers have this ability it seems reasonable to assume that YouTube publishers would have the same ability.

2) I'm a bit stumped on this one. Keywords are going to show in YouTube search, and in-display when people are watching videos about things related to those keywords.  So unless your keywords are related to some really obscure niche, you should be getting some impressions here.  What kind of geo-targeting do you have on the campaign level?  Can you give me a range of your CPV bid here?

3) I've never seen a "Google Recommended Settings" when I've done YouTube ads.  What are these settings? Is there any kind of targeting or is just wide open to the entire YouTube audience? Have you looked at any reports on how/where these impressions are being generated? What kind of interaction and completion rate are you getting from it?

I'm going to go ahead and recommend you consider another setting to test in another ad group.  I've always been happy with Topic targeting.  If your video has a specific theme/topic, I'd browse the topic categories and see if you can find something that matches it. It's possible this is what the "recommended setting" is using. That and/or an Interest list.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Riley H

What kind of video ad are you doing? Is it in-stream?  If so, how long is the video you are promoting?

You mention you've targeted these channels/videos,  but you've also mentioned keywords. It could be that you've made your targeting too restrictive.  Are you targeting channels and keywords together?  If so you're telling the system that you only want your ad served on videos located on that channel AND contain any of those keywords.   Try removing the keywords and see if that doesn't change things.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response. I was originally running the in-stream ads like you said which actually yielded a much larger number of views than I am receiving now, obviously. However, I didn't anticipate that my video was, as you suggested, too long and viewers were only able to see my video intro before being able to skip. So I decided to remove the in-stream ad. This was completely preference related as I thought an in-search/display style ads types would give me more desirable impressions.

Now I am currently running three different ad groups: 1 is a video discovery ad group that only targets specific channels as well as videos. The second is also video discovery and this is the one that targets only specific key words (I decided to run a group of each to see which gave the best results). The third being in-display ads using Google's recommended settings. This is the only one that has yielded any sort of impression/views.

The fact that my ads are too specific sounds like it could be the problem here. However, they are two different groups. One which targets channels/videos the other targets keywords. I should have been more specific in my original post.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update: after using Google Preview and Diagnosis Tool and searching literally all of my keywords I get this message for every one "No, your ad isn't showing for this keyword right now. There are a number of reasons why this happens." Can't find anything about this on Google support.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Riley H
January 2017

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Riley H

Thanks, this extra info is helpful.

I think you made the right call on turning off in-stream. Those generally work best with 15-30 second videos, and I've found that ones closer to the 15 second side get a considerably better reach.  

So now lets go over each ad group by setting.

1) This is essentially an in-display for those specific videos, and videos belonging to the channels you have selected. A couple of things understand here. Just because a specific video has a lot of views, doesn't mean that it's still acquiring a significant amount of views each day. In other words, it could have already hit it's peak popularity.  I'm not saying don't target it, but it's something you should be aware of.

Same goes for the channel. It's relative to how many subscribers they have, how often they publish a new video. The logic above applies to a channel as well. Their day to day views can vary greatly.  Are you able to give me a range on how many subscribers these channels have?

Another thing to consider is competition. While you might have a healthy bid, you could be in competition with another advertiser who has done a reserve buy that includes that channel. This means that they have made a large bulk payment up front, and are expecting a specific amount of views in a certain amount of time. Another possibility is the Adsense side of things for the publisher. I'm not entirely certain if this works for YouTube, but I know that website publishers can choose to approve/deny any direct targeting. So essentially your ads could be in an approval queue. Again, I'm not certain about this, but if website publishers have this ability it seems reasonable to assume that YouTube publishers would have the same ability.

2) I'm a bit stumped on this one. Keywords are going to show in YouTube search, and in-display when people are watching videos about things related to those keywords.  So unless your keywords are related to some really obscure niche, you should be getting some impressions here.  What kind of geo-targeting do you have on the campaign level?  Can you give me a range of your CPV bid here?

3) I've never seen a "Google Recommended Settings" when I've done YouTube ads.  What are these settings? Is there any kind of targeting or is just wide open to the entire YouTube audience? Have you looked at any reports on how/where these impressions are being generated? What kind of interaction and completion rate are you getting from it?

I'm going to go ahead and recommend you consider another setting to test in another ad group.  I've always been happy with Topic targeting.  If your video has a specific theme/topic, I'd browse the topic categories and see if you can find something that matches it. It's possible this is what the "recommended setting" is using. That and/or an Interest list.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the lengthy reply, really appreciate the help. 

Great point about the videos having possibly already reached their "peak". I've tried to take that into consideration as best as I could and opted to picked videos with a high number of views as well as those that only had roughly 50 new comments within a 24 hour period of creating my ad. However, I feel this it is safe to assume this, combined with the fact that the channels I picked generally ranged from 20k-100k followers, with the higher subbed channels only posting one or two videos a week, so these two factors combined may therein lie my problem. Good insight.

I did consider that my ads may have a good bit of competition due to targeting pretty popular topics, so that is why I used the keyword tool to get a gauge my bid aswell as when creating my ad groups I used the view estimator tool (not sure of the actual name) that estimated the number of views I would get daily based on my bid. This same tool indicated that the average CPV was 0.04 so I assumed setting it to 0.10 would put me in pretty good positioning.

Apologies, I misspoke by recommended settings I meant that I had no specific targeting and my ads were open to the entirety of YouTube viewers. I have not yet looked at any reports, as I am a newbie to AdWords however that is a great point and I will have to study the analytics some to arrive at my own conclusion.

Your recommendation to create another group and tweak the settings a bit will be my next step. You have provided some incitement information and with your assistance I have arrived at the conclusion that I need to do a bit of experimentation and analysis.
If I need anymore help with this topic I'll be sure to return and ask, but for now, your advice has sufficed and I think I'll be just fine.

Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pls help me 

My channel is mentionizing but my videos are not I don't know what to do