AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Which of the following YouTube features is visible on mobiles when advertising in-stream videos?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In AdWords in-stream video ads, is the YouTube cards feature visible on Mobile? And on Desktop?
Same for End screen.

I tested both of these features advertising for desktop users and got zero clicks, so I suspect both are not visible.

I called AdWords support and the staff had a difficult time to answer me this question, and every answer I got was inconclusive.

I'm aware these feature are visible also on mobile when viewed regularly (not as ads).

When watching a preview of one of my ads inside AdWords' interface, on desktop, these features were visible, despite being told by one of the staff' members that they wouldn't be. And she might be right, it was only a preview, not a real ad. 

Anybody knows the answer for sure?

Thank you very much.

Re: Which of the following YouTube features is visible on mobiles when advertising in-stream videos?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Hovav,

Viewers can choose to skip the video ad after 5 seconds. If a user does not skip the video ad, the YouTube video viewer watches 30 seconds of the video ad (or the duration if it's shorter than 30 seconds) or engages with your video, whichever comes first. (Video interactions= clicks to visit your website, call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards, or companion banners.)

YouTube allows only one overlay type per video: Info Cards or CTA Overlay. You can't use both at the same time.

Check out the link below for more info: 

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/150471?hl=en

-Juli

Which of the following YouTube features is visible on mobiles when advertising in-stream videos?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Juli.

Your answer was very helpful, now I know these features work on Desktop.

But what about mobile, I will be grateful if someone knows the answer for sure and can tell me.
Are cards visible on mobile?
Is End Screen visible on mobile?

In the reference given by Juli it says:
Note: Some interactive features may not be supported across all devices and platforms, for example the YouTube mobile site (m.youtube.com) doesn't support all features on mobile.

Thank you.

Re: Which of the following YouTube features is visible on mobiles when advertising in-stream videos?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Hovav,

How content displays on m.youtube.com mobile site is dependent on each user device, browser, settings, internet speed, and other factors that google/YouTube can't control. This is why the YouTube app is custom to each device (android, ios, tablet, etc). 

See below screenshots - iOS app, android app, and mobile browser examples: 

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4197.PNG

IMG_4196.PNG

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you.

So can you tell me for sure that in some modern devices people will see both cards and end screens in their mobile when viewing in-stream video ads?

If so, can you estimate if the majority of people who use modern devices will be able to see these features when viewing in-stream ads?

Thank you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hovav V
January 2017

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Hovav V

in another related post, one of the moderators stated that cards don't work for m.youtube.com, but will with the app on android devices. The exception for m.youtube.com is on ipads.  That post is here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-for-Video/YouTube-Cards-Don-t-Work-On-Mobile/td-p/...

I would be surprised if End Screens would work on in-stream ads.  YouTube ads put user experience first. As @Julia Xhajaj already stated, they will not let you clutter the ad with multiple overlays.  It's only going to show one or the other, not both.  End Screens show other videos available on the channel. I don't think these would be appropriate for in-stream ads. These ads are served before a video that a user has demonstrated specific intent to watch. It wouldn't make sense for an ad to take them to another watch page and not let them see the original video they wanted to watch.  If for some reason it is allowed, I doubt it would be very effective for the same reason.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, that really helps.

If someone knows for sure whether End Screens are visible or not on YouTube app, then I will be happy to know.