AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

What is a click exactly for YouTube Discovery ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a few video Discovery ads running, and I get a lot of views but little clicks. How could someone have viewed my advertised video without first clicking on my ad?

For example: 

Ad #1 has 160,876 impressions, 3,598 views, and 6 clicks.

Is 'clicks' actually the clicks on my video's CTA? And not the clicks on the Discovery ad itself?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle T
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Michelle T,

Your video discovery ad consists of a thumbnail image from your video (with some text) and they always invite people to click to watch the video which is counted as a view that you need to pay for. It's important to stress that you’ll be charged only when viewers choose to watch your ad by clicking that thumbnail.

In contrast, a click is counted when users click your video and are taken to your website. Note that a clear call-to-action (CTA) overlay within your video may help increase the number of clicks and improve your CTR value.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much @Lakatos!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos,

thank you for your answer.

But what about videos, that don't include a CTA-overlay, i.e. no link to the website. What do clicks mean in this case? And what is also the difference to engagements? Interactions (= views), clicks and engagements show all different amounts.

Many thanks & kind regards,

Augusto

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Augusto, 

For Discovery, a users clicks on the thumbnail ad to watch the video - a view is counted. (clicking the ad will deliver a user to the YouTube watch or channel page to view the video rather than playing the video within the ad unit itself.) Once watching the video the user can choose to click on the video's cards or call-to-action overlay - which is when a click is counted. 

One thing to note- since videos are hosted on YouTube, your paid ads also increase and/or effect your organic metrics.

I recommend puling an audience retention report which breaks down metrics by paid and organic as well as  YouTube analytics dashboard and reports. 

-Julia 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julia,

many thanks for your reply.

In this specific case, the video doesn't have neither cards, nor a CTA overlay. There is absoulutely no way to click on anything other than to like (or dislike) the video, subscribe or to click on the channel's name, which would then link you to the channel. But all this kind of clicks, would be counted as engagements, wouldn't they? The support said, likes and dislikes would be clicks and the rest would be engagements, but that just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, once you click on the channel's name and you land on the channel, you have the option to click on a link to the external website. That seems far away from the initial click (view), but is still all on the same session. Is that perhaps the click they are counting?

Thank you for your help. Regarding the audience retention report, unfortunately the YouTube Analytics account is managed by the client, so we can only work with AdWords data.

Kind regards,

Augusto

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Augusto, 

Engagement and earned methics see how video viewers are connecting with your message in the long-term. 

Earned Views – Views of another video uploaded to your channel within 7 days, after watching your video ad.

Earned Subscribers – A viewer of your video ad that then subscribed to your channel within 7 days.

Earned Shares – A video ad viewer that goes on to share a video from your channel within 7 days.

Earned Likes – When a video viewer watches a paid ad and then clicks the “Like” button on one of your videos from your channel.

So essentially all favorable action to the advertiser reports out as a combination of earned action a user took after being served the ad. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julia,

thank you for your input. I am aware, that the more clicks, engagements and views, the better. We definitely agree on that. :-)

My question was, what exactly are clicks and what exactly are engagements. I hope someone can deliver a clear answer.

Kind regards,

Augusto

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Augusto, 

Apologies for the confusion. Let me expand on my earlier message- 

Engaged actions happen when a viewer watches the video ad and then takes a related action on YouTube. In other words, you pay for that first click on your ad, but not additional actions which are “earned” as a result of people engaging with your video initially from an ad.

Engagements- comments, likes, shares of your video, subscribers gained/lost , video added/removed to a playlist.

Clicks- show you the number of times people clicked on your video ad. 

I hope this helps explain further! 

https://developers.google.com/youtube/analytics/v1/dimsmets/mets#Engagement_Metrics

-Julia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julia,

thanks again for your input.

For Discovery Ads, the number of times people clicked on your video, is shown under views (and/or interactions). Not under clicks. Clicks are definitely something else.

I think it is clear Google doesn't help to make this easy for anyone. As I already mentioned, the Google Support wasn't able to give a straight answer.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Have a great day!

Augusto