5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

What is Placebo Ad testing for Youtube Campaigns ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of my client in Travel vertical wants to run YT Campaigns on test group and control group.

He asked us to set up a Placebo ad for this.

 

Can someone help me out as to what is a Placebo ad and how to set this up?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Placebo Ad testing for Youtube Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of my client in Travel vertical wants to run YT Campaigns on test group and control group.

He asked us to set up a Placebo ad for this.

 

Can someone help me out as to what is a Placebo ad and how to set this up?

What is Placebo Ad testing for Youtube Campaigns ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Kapil A

 

You should connect with your AdWords Account Manager if you a partner agency. They should be able to help you out. There are several ads/campaigns types which are usually in beta before the public launch. An account manager can help you get access to beta if your client's account qualifies for it. 

 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

What is Placebo Ad testing for Youtube Campaigns ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Kapil A, If I am not run you want to set up the Brand Lift Study.

 

Brand Lift Study (BLS) can be implemented for the TrueView format or Reservation buying Non-Skippable. Brand Lift isolates two groups of users (exposed and control groups) and either present a one-question survey. Google would require names of 3 competitors that you would like to measure your brand against. The survey-based question measure one of the following metrics: Ad recall, brand awareness, consideration, favorability and purchase intent.

 

The duration of the BLS is from 1 day to 7 days. It's not fixed day. Only you have to spend $10000 within 7 days in Youtube format.

 

I would suggest you should contact the Google account manager for a better understanding of Reports and how BLS will be done with brands.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Placebo Ad testing for Youtube Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Kapil A

 

Avoid posting multiple threads for the same question.

 

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-for-Video/What-is-Placebo-Ad-testing-for-Youtube-C...

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

What is Placebo Ad testing for Youtube Campaigns ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Ratan-Jha & @Rakesh Kumar

 

Thanks for the reply here.

 

So, connected with client on BLS, but that is not what they are looking for.

 

So, it's an american client and apparently they do have something called Placebo ads.

 

They are looking to target users with 95% of the spends on 1st ad that talks about their brand while the rest 5% on 2nd ads that talks about social issues and charity with no mention of brand. We still don't have any clear idea as to why they want to do so and how are they gonna measure it's efficiency.

 

 

Thanks.  

Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
1 month ago

What is Placebo Ad testing for Youtube Campaigns ?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

a placebo-ad is simply a sham-ad that is designed to have no impact on
the users in a study -- usually shown only to a separate control-group.

the main goal of any plecebo-ad is to determine if a primary-ad is effective --
the primary-ad is effective if, and only if, users who viewed the primary-ad
had better outcomes than users who only viewed the placebo-ad.

generally, for video-ads, a placebo-ad only makes sense
within the context of a brand-lift-awareness study --
where the effectiveness of multiple ads is determined
by asking users about outcomes via a controlled survey;
for example, did the users remember the brand-name.

if the client has indicated that a brand-lift-study does not apply,
then the best likely course is to contact the client and ask about
their perceived details of what is wanted, detailed expectations,
the exact origins of where they heard or read about plecebo-ads,
and exactly how the client would like the advertisements set-up --
any miscommunication likely cannot be resolved here in the forum.

see also
https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/marketing-resources/data-measurement/youtube-insights-stats-data-tre...
https://adwords.googleblog.com/2014/06/new-study-search-ads-lift-brand.html

 

Experts in the Topic
Ratan-Jha
Celebird
Rakesh Kumar