AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Boost and manage your AdWords for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

What happens if I target in-stream video w/ a Keyword?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Say I am running an in-stream only video campaign.

keyword - ("fly fishing")

1st: When is my ad served? When people click on a video immediately after searching for say, "secrets of fly fishing"?

2nd: Does setting a keyword on an in-stream video ad severely limit it's reach? Meaning, will it ONLY serve when that keyword is searched, even though the user satisfies 9 out of the other 10 targeting groups I've set?

Thank you kindly for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What happens if I target in-stream video w/ a Keyword?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Steve S,

Firstly, keywords are used to serve InDisplay ads, as that's the format that runs on the YouTube Search Network and served on both Search & Watch pages.

Secondly, InStream ads are served in the watch page (YouTube Video Network) and hence keywords wouldn't do the job. I'd suggest using targeting methods like Topics, Interests, Placements & Remarketing for InStream ads.

Feel free to write back with questions.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Correct but they allow you to use keywords for in-stream video campaigns.
What would happen if I set a keyword on an in-display video ad?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Steve,

InDisplay can be served on both YouTube Video and Search networks. When you add keywords and bid effectively, InDisplay ads can show up on YouTube search results. In terms of narrowing down the reach, you'll have to ensure there aren't too many targeting criteria (kws+topics+placements) in a single targeting group, as this would narrow your traffic.

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar